Easy & Healthy Breakfast Ideas for Rushed Mornings
We've got you covered Monday through Friday with these 8 healthy and delicious quick breakfast tips.
Ding goes off the alarm clock…
Time to get the coffee brewing, jump in the shower, and hopefully eat breakfast. Add in getting ready children or a tackling an early workout and the morning is filled to the brim.
But a rushed morning does not mean resorting to a drive-thru. It does not mean pouring out a bowl of sugary cereal or grabbing for packaged pastries, either.
In fact, a healthy homemade breakfast can be prepared both easily and healthily. Start your day the delicious and nutritious way with these healthy breakfast ideas!
8 Easy & Healthy Breakfast Ideas
A balanced breakfast should ideally offer a mix of protein and fiber to rev up metabolism and keep hunger at bay. Including some healthy fat can be helpful, too.
And these healthy breakfast ideas are balanced with the nutrients the body needs to truly get the day going.
1. Protein Shake
While nutrition experts encourage whole foods over protein powders, they do have their time and place. And a protein shake is a speedy way to achieve protein intake on-the-go.
Whey protein powder also acts as an appetite suppressant and reduces the risk of overeating. But there are numerous protein powders to choose from, ranging in flavor and vegetarian options.
As a general rule of thumb, aim for at least 20 grams of protein. Mixing with 8 ounces of nonfat milk adds 8 grams of protein, too.
Jazz up the powder with cinnamon or a pinch of coffee grounds. Pairing with a serving of fruit offers fiber and can help induce satiety even more.
2. Overnight Oats
These overnight oat recipes are a convenient way to start the day. And not to mention, they offer dietary fiber, plant-based protein, iron, and B vitamins.
The oats can be cooked in a slow cooker for a warm option or stored in the fridge for a refreshing, chilled alternative.
Nutritious and delicious varieties include blueberry almond, peanut butter oatmeal cookie, apple pie, banana split, and mocha oats. So truly, you are sure to find a recipe to satisfy your taste buds whilst managing blood sugars and hunger pangs leading up till lunchtime!
3. Canadian Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
This recipe is perfect for rushed mornings throughout the week, as it makes four servings.
• 8 eggs
• 1 cup of cheddar cheese, shredded
• ¼ cup milk
• 6 slices Canadian bacon
• Optional: sauteed mushrooms, onions, peppers, chives, and hot sauce
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Take a square pan and spray it with cooking spray.
3. In a bowl, crack the eggs and whisk. Add and mix in the shredded cheese milk.
4. Line the bottom of the square pan with the Canadian bacon, overlapping them a bit.
5. Pour the egg mixture over the top. Feel free to add in optional mix-ins at this point.
6. Transfer to oven and cook for about 35 minutes or until firm.
7. Let cool, slice into 4 pieces, and ding! Breakfast for tomorrow!
4. Cottage Cheese and Fruit
Cottage cheese is power-packed with protein, offering 26 grams per 1 cup! Being a dairy product, it is also has a highly respected calcium content.
Cottage cheese pairs well with a number of naturally sweet fruits, including pineapple, pear, and orange slices.
5. Ham & Cheese Rollups
Roll-ups may seem like a lunch option, but they can likewise make for an easy breakfast.
• 2 oz of ham, such as black forest
• 2 slices of favorite low-fat cheese, including white cheddar
• Thinly sliced cucumber and chives
1. Lay the ham slices out, overlapping them slightly.
2. Place the cheese, thin cucumber slices, and chopped chives on top.
3. Staring at one end, roll the ham around the toppings, and pack or enjoy on-the-go.
• Nuke in the microwave or heat in a toaster oven melts the cheese slightly.
• Sub out proteins, including sliced turkey.
• Add scrambled or fried eggs to elevate the protein content.
• Go straight to the butcher over packaged deli meats to lower sodium.
6. Greek Yogurt Parfait
Greek yogurt parfaits are packed with protein, simple to prepare, and exceptionally satisfying.
To make, simply layer or mix Greek yogurt with favorite toppings, including fruit, nuts, and seeds. Some delicious combos include:
• Nutty Monkey: 1/2 banana, 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, and a dash of sweetener
• Berry Good: 1 cup mixed berries and a 1/4 cup of almonds
• Banana Split: ½ banana, ¼ cup strawberries, 1/4 cup pineapple chunks, and ¼ cup peanuts
• Chocolate Covered Strawberry: 1 cup sliced strawberries mixed with 1 tablespoon cocoa powder and a dash of sweetener
7. Freezer Breakfast Burritos
Healthy breakfast burritos for the freezer are grab-n-go breakfast idea for any rushed morning. The filling can also be adapted to liking, including adding jalapeno, tomato, and spinach.
Also, make breakfast sandwiches by simply subbing out the tortilla with a whole grain English muffin. The burrito and sandwich can be turned into a gluten-free breakfast when using a gluten-free tortilla shell or muffin.
8. Breakfast Smoothies
For a quick breakfast on-the-go, blend up a smoothie! They are completely versatile and can harness a number of nutrients and flavor, including these options:
• Chocolate banana protein smoothie
• Chocolate mint smoothie
• Peach, raspberry and basil protein smoothie
The most importance of blending up smoothies is ensuring adequate protein. Valuable protein sources to add include protein powder, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and milk.
BistroMD also offers healthy breakfast options delivered straight your door. All you have to do is heat and enjoy! That means no meal prep or kitchen cleanup the night before or during a rushed morning.
Along with being convenient, each meal is packed with nutrients and flavor. Some breakfast favorites include:
• Bagel sandwich with egg, roast beef, and pepper jack
• Cheese omelet with turkey sausage
• Dark chocolate chip crepe with pork sausage hash
• Homestyle waffles with scrambled eggs and maple syrup
• Caramelized mushroom and onion frittata
• Bacon and potato egg scramble
• Stuffed French toast
• Canadian bacon and Swiss omelet
• Sweet onion frittata
• Blueberry waffles with mixed berry compote
• Southwestern smoked chicken omelet
With so many delicious options, never be bored with breakfast again. What’s more, never be worried about eating a balanced breakfast!