A food group that does not often excite many and most fall short eating.
Because imagine: A spicy, citrusy sauce prepared with fresh orange juice, tamarind, soy sauce, and chili flakes. Combine that with a savory punch from fresh garlic, ginger and fish sauce.
Really, every mouthful is packed with flavors reminiscent of Thailand!
And not to mention, this veggie side dish is oh so easy to put together and oh so healthy for you and your family! It is also perfect to savor chilled as leftovers the next day as well.
So make in big or small quantities, for yourself and your family, or for a quick and breezy weeknight dinner or weekend dinner party!
Seasonal Vegetables with Thai Orange Sesame Sauce Recipe
Yield: 4 servings
Nutrition per serving: 150 calories, 7 g fat, 3 g protein, 19 g total carb, 4 g fiber
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
• 2 Tbsp tamarind paste
• 3 Tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
• 1 Tbsp olive oil
• 1 Tbsp sesame oil
• 1 Tbsp fish sauce
• 1 Tbsp soy sauce
• 1 Tbsp honey or maple syrup
• 1 tsp orange zest
• 1 tsp garlic, minced
• 1 tsp ginger, minced
• 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
• 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
• 1 cup broccoli*
• 1 cup cauliflower*
• 1 cup red bell pepper*
• 1 cup yellow bell pepper*
• 1 cup carrots*
• 1 cup daikon radish*
*Cut all veggies into 1-inch pieces
1. To make the tamarind sauce, mix tamarind paste to 4 tablespoons of hot water in a small bowl. Once the paste has dissolved nicely, filter using a fine sieve to remove any seeds and/or pits from the paste.
2. Start a steamer and steam vegetables for 15 minutes. Once steamed, add the vegetables in the mixing bowl with the sauce and toss until evenly coated.
3. While the vegetables are steaming, prepare the sauce. In a large mixing bowl, mix the tamarind sauce with all ingredients. Whisk well to combine, forming an emulsion.
4. Serve with stir-fried white or brown rice and a lean protein such as chicken or sirloin. Top with toasted sesame seeds as desired.
Roasted Veggies with Thai Orange Sesame Sauce
Steamed vegetables pair nicely with the sauce, but the charred flavor of roasted veggies does as well! Use this simple 5-step process for delicious roasted veggies with orange ginger sauce:
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of olive oil with the veggies, tossing until evenly coated. Feel free to roast the veggies indicated or other varieties in season.
3. Spread coated vegetables on a large baking sheet in a single layer. Be sure to not overcrowd them to ensure each sprout is evenly roasted and cooked through.
4. Roast for about 15 minutes, flip, then add back to the oven for about 15 more minutes. The center should be fork-tender and edges charred and crisp.
5. Add roasted veggies with the orange ginger sauce and toss to coat.
Cannot get enough of this zesty sauce? Try using it for orange chicken! Want a vegetarian option? Drizzle atop tofu or tempeh!
Really, how you choose to use this orange sauce is essentially endless!