Spinach is power-packed with nutrients, including fiber, calcium, and iron. But not all may enjoy sitting down to a bowl of spinach salad to obtain such nutrients…
This is where our Indian creamed spinach recipe changes the game! It is essentially an innovative combo of two delicious recipes, including spinach artichoke dip and saag paneer.
Saag recipes call for leafy greens and a blend of spices, which is combined and enjoyed with bread. Paneer is a fresh cheese common in the Indian subcontinent.
Ready to experience a unique, fragrant side dish? Find out how to cook spinach Indian-style prepared in 30 minutes or less!
Indian Creamed Spinach Recipe
Yield: 4 servings
Nutrition per serving: 100 calories, 5 g fat, 8 g protein, 8 g total carb, 3 g fiber
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 to 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
• 16 ounces fresh spinach
• 1 Tbsp olive oil
• 2 tsp garlic, minced*
• 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped*
• 1 tsp ginger, freshly grated
• 1 tsp turmeric
• 1 tsp garam masala
• 1 tsp jalapeño, minced
• 3/4 cup plain Greek-style low-fat yogurt
• 1 tomato, seeded and diced
*Swap with garlic and onion powders as desired.
1. In a large skillet, sauté spinach in a 1/4 cup water over medium-high heat until wilted, about 5 minutes. Remove cooked spinach from the pan and allow it to cool.
2. In the same pan, add the olive oil, reduce heat to medium, then sauté garlic for a minute or until fragrant. Then add onion, ginger, turmeric, garam masala, and jalapeño and cook for about 5 minutes.
3. Once the spinach has completely cooled, squeeze out any excess water. Give a rough chop then add chopped spinach back to skillet.
4. Add plain yogurt, stirring occasionally, until fully incorporated with spinach and spices. Gently fold in the diced tomato and season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Serve warm with naan bread, over basmati rice, or with another Indian dish such as chicken tikka masala.
How to Make Garam Masala for Indian Creamed Spinach
Garam masala is a blend of spices used widely in Indian cuisine, including in this Indian creamed spinach recipe. While the spice blend can be conveniently purchased, it can be freshly prepared at home for the ultimate flavor!
Use these simple steps for making homemade garam masala:
1. Gather the ingredients.
There are many versions of garam masala, though our version features:
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 small cinnamon stick
• 2 Tbsp green cardamom seeds
• 2 Tbsp black peppercorns
• 3 Tbsp coriander seeds
• 2 Tbsp cumin seeds
• 2 tsp whole cloves
• 1 tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
• 1/8 tsp ground mace
2. Toast the spices.
Toast bay leaves, cinnamon, cardamom, peppercorns, coriander, cumin, and cloves over medium heat in a skillet.
Do so only for a few minutes, being careful not to burn. Toasting truly boosts the flavor and fragrance of each spice.
3. Blend in a grinder.
Add the toasted spices into a grinder and ground into a fine powder. A blender will work as well.
4. Add other ground spices.
Add the grated nutmeg and ground mace to the toasted, ground spices.
Use in the Indian creamed spinach or enjoy in another favorite recipe.
Store any extra in an airtight, sealable jar for later use.