Apple 'crisp' or 'crumble' gets its name from the perfectly golden crumbly and crisp topping after you bake it in the oven. This well-known dessert is a staple for any fall gathering which is around the time for apple harvesting.
We suggest using Golden Delicious apples since they are common to find year-round, but you can also use locally grown apples, when in season, for even more flavor.
This fall-favorite dessert is perfect for any time of the year and is one that everyone will love. Have all the taste of apple pie without any of the guilt with this delightful apple oatmeal crisp recipe!
Apple Crisp Topping
The topping of apple crisp is what makes this sweet treat so special and set apart from other baked apple desserts. The topping should be slightly crunchy and not too thick to overpower the fruit base. The crisp topping provides a subtle rich flavored crunch that complements the tender, sweet baked fruit.
Each component of the topping serves a purpose to provide the perfect apple crisp recipe.
• Flour: Flour helps provide structure, uniformity and serves as a base component for a crisp.
• Oats: Oats add a layer of texture and toothsome quality to a crisp topping. Not only does it add texture, but adding an oat topping adds a source of fiber, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals to an apple crisp!
• Brown sugar: Just a little sugar in a crisp topping adds depth of flavor to the fruit, browning to the topping and ties together the fruit and topping. Brown sugar is usually used for crisps and other baked goods instead of white sugar.
• Butter: Butter is added to moisten and hold together the dry ingredients of an apple crisp. Just a little is needed to ensure the crisp topping has a rich flavor and balance of texture.
• Spices: Ground cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger all pair well with the apples and bring the fall comfort flavors in an apple crisp.
• Walnuts: Not all crisps have nuts added, but adding walnuts or other nuts adds even more texture to contrast soft baked apples. Nutritionally, walnuts add a good source of heart-healthy fats, fiber, and minerals.
Apple Oatmeal Crisp Recipe
This recipe is stuffed with sweet cinnamon apple mixture and chopped walnuts for a sweet, melt-in-your-mouth center. The apple crisp’s topping contains oats, brown sugar, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sea salts to create an impeccable crumble finish.
Yield: About 10 servings
Nutrition per serving: 180 calories, 6g fat, 2g protein, 30g total carb, 4g fiber
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Total time: 120 minutes
• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, plus 2 Tbsp
• 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
• 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
• 1/2 tsp ground ginger
• 1/2 tsp cinnamon
• 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
• 1 pinch salt
• 4 Tbsp walnuts, chopped
• 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, diced
• 1 pinch ground cloves
• 3 lbs Golden Delicious apples (about 7 cups), peeled and thinly sliced (Granny Smith apples also work great)
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F and oil a 1 ½ quart baking dish.
2. In a small bowl combine 1/2 cup flour, oats, brown sugar, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sea salt.
3. With a pastry cutter or blender or your fingers, cut in the butter until the mixture becomes crumbly. Stir in the chopped walnuts and set them aside.
4. Combine sliced apples, 2 tablespoons flour, cloves, and vanilla extract in a large bowl. Mix well so apples are evenly coated.
5. Transfer apples to a baking dish and sprinkle the topping over the apples.
6. Bake until bubbling and the topping is golden brown, about 50 minutes.
7. Serve warm and top with a dusting of cinnamon for one incredibly delicious dessert. Enjoy as-is or top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or avocado ice cream!
In Summary on Apple Walnut Crisps
Apple oatmeal crisp is a delicious way to enjoy apples any time of year but especially when they are in season in the fall. Adding oatmeal to the topping of an apple crisp adds texture but also provides the health benefit of oats such as fiber, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
Making an apple oatmeal crisp can be done by combining the topping ingredients in a bowl and sprinkling on top of sliced apples.