Yummy Sesame Sugar Snap Peas Recipe
If bored of the same old veggies served night-in and night-out, find out how to whip up crisp, tender, and delicious snap peas in just a quick 10 minutes!
Bored of the same old steamed broccoli, green beans, or carrots served night-in and night-out?
Take your vegetables to the next level with this sesame sugar snap pea recipe!
What are sugar snap peas, you ask?
Sugar snap peas, or simply snap peas, are essentially a mix between snow peas and garden peas. The entire pea pod can be consumed and, as a whole, has a crunchy texture and sweet flavor.
Being a member of the legume family, the peas are packed with plant-based protein and dietary fiber. They are also good sources of folate, iron, vitamin A, vitamin C, and other nutrients.
Beyond the nutritional benefits, this recipe is also quite versatile and flexible! Enjoy as a snack, side dish recipe, amongst the many uses.
Find out how to whip up crisp, tender, and delicious snap peas in just a quick 10 minutes!
Sesame Sugar Snap Peas Recipe
Yield: 4 servings
Nutrition per serving: 110 calories, 7 g fat, 3 g protein, 10 g total carb, 3 g fiber
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
• 1 lb fresh sugar snap peas
• 2 Tbsp sesame oil (or olive oil)
• 1/4 tsp sea salt
• 1/2 Tbsp black sesame seeds
1. To prepare the sugar snap peas, remove and discard the stem and the string from each pod. There may be tough "strings" at the seams of the pods that need to be removed before being eaten, but stringless varieties are also now available.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium-high heat then add the sugar snap peas. Allow to boil for 5 minutes, drain promptly and then immerse in ice water until cold.
3. Drain peas from the chilled water and toss in a bowl with sesame oil, sesame seeds, and sea salt until evenly coated. Serve at room temperature, chilled, or warm. (Read on to learn how to quickly prepare them stir-fried!)
Prep & Serving Ideas for Sugar Snap Peas
Sugar snap peas can be enjoyed in so many ways, including with various seasonings and dishes.
Sugar Snap Peas Seasoning Ideas
Sweet in flavor, snap peas taste great on their own or with a touch of salt and pepper to taste. However, the peas can take on the flavors of a variety of seasonings such as:
• Red pepper flakes
• Soy sauce
Stir-Fry the Snap Peas
While these sesame sugar snap peas can be enjoyed immediately chilled, they can also be stir-fried!
Stir-frying is a Chinese cooking technique done over high heat and with a small amount of oil. It is often used to stir-fry protein and veggies, also being a perfect cooking candidate for these snap peas!
Here's how to do it:
1. Prepare the snaps peas as detailed above. Whereas you can use uncooked peas, having them cooked and chilled limits the time needed to cook in the oil. This is ideal so the veggies do not overcook and become soggy, but crisp and vibrant instead.
2. Heat a large skillet or wok over medium to high heat. Once the pan is hot, add a tablespoon of vegetable oil with a high smoke point such as sesame or peanut oil.
3. Add the snap peas to the hot oil and shake and stir often, about 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Garnish with sea salt and sesame seeds as desired.
Being packed with protein and fiber, the sugar snap peas make an excellent snack option. However, they can also be served alongside or mixed into a variety of dishes.
Some of our favorites include:
• Beef and broccoli stir-fry: Tender strips of seasoned beef and steamed broccoli florets coated in a flavorful stir fry sauce.
• Vegetable fried rice: A nutritious spinoff of that beloved takeout but made from the comfort of home! The recipe is simple to prepare and can harness a number of fresh flavors, including sesame sugar snap peas.
• Garlic shrimp scampi: Shrimp seasoned to perfection with garlic and red pepper flakes for the perfect amount of tang and heat.
• Chicken Pad Thai: Tender Pad Thai noodles topped with juicy chicken and vibrant veggies, which comes together in a slightly sweet and savory Pad Thai sauce.
Regardless of how you choose to enjoy, the recipe is sure to be enjoyed and made in a snap!