Cheesy Broccoli Cheddar Stuffed Chicken
The search is over for an appetizing baked stuffed chicken recipe the entire family is sure to love. (And a deliciously sure way to eat those veggies!)
Searching for a flavor and protein-packed entree the entire family is sure to get excited over?
The search ends here!
Not only is this cheese stuffed chicken breast tender and succulent, but features a sneaky ingredient…
Stuffing the chicken with chopped broccoli florets is a satisfying way to increase veggie intake, even of the pickiest of eaters!
Find out how to craft this mouthwatering meal featuring tender, grilled chicken stuffed with broccoli and cheddar cheese.
Pairing suggestions and creative twists of baked stuffed chicken recipes also included!
Broccoli Cheddar Stuffed Chicken Recipe
Yield: 4 servings
Nutrition per serving: 250 calories, 9 g fat, 39 g protein, 4 g total carb, 1 g fiber
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
• 4, 5-oz chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
• Pinch of salt and pepper
• 1 cup broccoli, finely chopped (fresh or frozen broccoli)
• 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, reduced-fat
• 1 Tbsp cream cheese
• 1 1/5 tsp garlic powder
• 1 tsp onion powder
• 1 Tbsp olive oil
• 1/2 tsp paprika
• Pinch of salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Using a sharp knife, butterfly each chicken breast by cutting a slice through one side. Be sure not to cut all the way through, creating a pocket for the filling. Season both sides of the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
3. For the filling, steam broccoli by adding into a microwaveable bowl with 1 tablespoon of water. Cover with plastic wrap, microwave for 1 minute, then drain any excess water. In a bowl, combine broccoli with cheddar cheese, cream cheese, garlic, and onion powders until combined. Divide the mixture between the chicken breasts then use a toothpick to secure the stuffed chicken to keep closed during cooking.
4. Heat a large, oven-safe skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. Sprinkle paprika on the top of each chicken breast then place in the skillet. Sear the chicken for 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
5. Cover skillet with foil and bake for 15 minutes, or until chicken reads 165°F through the thickest part. Allow chicken to rest, covered for 5 minutes before enjoying.
How to Serve Stuffed Chicken
This new family favorite is stuffed with flavor and nutrients as is, but its greatness does not have to stop there!
Completely balance the meal with these delicious and nutritious serving ideas, including a savory, creamy sauce and hearty whole-grain salad. Feel free to experiment with various ingredients and flavors as well.
Side with a vegetable.
Siding main entrees with a vegetable is a common practice, but it does not have to be just any plain veggie…
So many delicious veggie recipes exist and pair perfectly with broccoli cheddar stuffed chicken, including:
• Honey roasted carrots that are glazed and roasted to perfection.
• Cauliflower au gratin with optional olives and feta.
• Mashed cauliflower, prepared in 30 minutes from start to finish.
• Roasted Brussels sprouts crisped to perfection.
Complement with a whole grain.
Complementing meals with a whole grain enhances overall fiber, B vitamin, and other nutritional content.
Some hearty favorites include:
• Brown rice that is perfectly cooked and fluffed.
• Tabbouleh salad with quinoa packed with dietary fiber, plant-based protein, and flavor.
• Barley salad consisting of barley, spinach, red onions, and almonds for one nutrient-dense side.
Drizzle a sauce or oil atop.
Tie the meal together by drizzling a sauce or healthy oil atop, including these simple ideas:
• Garlic veloute sauce, which offers rich flavors without weighing down the meal!
• Olive oil with fresh herbs, including parsley and oregano.
• Cashew cream sauce with customizable thickness and flavor options.
Experiment with baked stuffed chicken flavors.
Chicken is a versatile protein that can be stuffed with so many ingredients and flavors. Along with broccoli cheddar, other appetizing combinations include pizza and spinach stuffed chicken breasts:
• BBQ: BBQ sauce, bell pepper, onion
• Chicken parmesan: marinara sauce, Italian seasoning parmesan cheese
• Chicken pesto: arugula, pesto sauce, pine nuts
• Farmer's market: asparagus, minced garlic, herbs such as basil and parsley
• Pizza: mushroom, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, olives, tomato sauce
• Spinach: feta, onion, sauteed spinach
What are your favorite stuffed chicken combos and flavor pairings?