Mashed Cauliflower with Mushroom Gravy Recipe
Whether watching carbs, trying to increase veggies, or feeling like a foodie, this mashed cauliflower recipe is for you!
Whether watching carbs, trying to increase veggies, or feeling like a foodie, this recipe is for you!
Our mashed cauliflower recipe is a low-calorie and carb alternative to standard potatoes. But such lows do not equate to low flavor.
Find out how to quickly whip up a healthy take on mashed potatoes and gravy. And read on for delicious dinner ideas to serve it with!
Mashed Cauliflower with Mushroom Gravy
Yield: 4 servings
Nutrition per serving: 130 calories, 8 g fat, 6 g protein, 10 g total carb, 3 g fiber
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
• 1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
• 2 Tbsp light sour cream or cream cheese*
• 2 Tbsp olive oil
• 2 1/2 tsp minced garlic
• 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
• 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
• 1 Tbsp soy sauce
• 2 cups beef broth or beef stock*
• Salt and Pepper, to taste
*For a vegan-friendly option, swap out the sour cream or cream cheese for olive oil. Use vegetable broth as well.
1. Start by cutting the head of cauliflower into florets. A simple way to do this is by cutting in quarters, exposing the stem, and cutting around it. Also, cut florets into consistently small pieces to ensure even cooking. Rinse florets in a colander.
2. Bring about 2 cups of water to a boil, add the florets, cover, and cook for about 8 to 10 minutes. You can also cook cauliflower in a steaming basket over boiling water. Regardless of the method, the florets should be steamed until very tender.
3. Drain and discard the water and add sour cream. For a lumpier, more textured product, mash with a potato masher or, blend cauliflower in an immersion blender or food processor. Just be careful to not over blend into a puree.
4. While the cauliflower is cooking, start the mushroom gravy by heating olive oil in a medium saucepan on medium-high heat. Add garlic and mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are tender and any liquid has evaporated.
5. Whisk in the flour and cook for about 3 minutes. Slowly whisk in the soy sauce and broth then bring to a simmer. Heat until thickened to desired consistency, about 3 minutes, whisking constantly.
6. Top the mashed cauliflower with the mushroom gravy. Garnish with fresh herbs and parmesan cheese as desired.
Pair Mashed Cauliflower with Your Favorite Dish
The mashed cauliflower is highly adaptable and pairs with various dishes, with or without the gravy. Some of our favorites include grilled chicken, meatloaf, and pork tenderloin.
Meatloaf and mashed potatoes are a plated power duo!
We cleaned up the dinner plate to serve one nutritious meal. This skinny meatloaf recipe uses turkey and extra lean ground beef to lower saturated fat, overall fat, and calories.
Do not worry, though, the hearty entrée is still guaranteed to satisfy the entire family!
Mashed cauliflower is the perfect complement to this juicy pork tenderloin! Pair with green beans for one savory and satisfying meal.
Grilled Chicken Bowls
Fried chicken and mashed potatoes are a southern staple, though the combo is laden in refined oils, carbs, overall calories.
Lighten up the dish by making a grilled chicken bowl! Simply top mashed potatoes with shredded grilled chicken and the mushroom gravy.
Bulk the bowl with favorite steamed veggies, including broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, or corn. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Transform grilled chicken and mashed cauliflower into one fiery meal!
Drizzle favorite buffalo sauce atop warm, grilled chicken. Omit the gravy and top cauliflower with tangy blue cheese crumbles, crispy bacon bits, and chopped chives!