Blackened Tilapia with Red Beans and Rice Recipe
Try our this fresh mix of blackened spices and red beans with rice.
Nutrition Per Serving with 1 cup Steamed Broccoli
Protein: 34 g
NET Carbohydrate: 25 g
Enjoy this delicious and nutritious blackened tilapia with red beans and rice recipe straight from the kitchens of bistroMD. It's the perfect amount of heat balanced by a tasty red pepper coulis.
What You’ll Need
4, 5 oz Tilapia filets
2 tablespoons Salt-Free Blackened Seasoning (or more if preferred)
1 ½ tablespoons Olive Oil
Red Pepper Coulis
3 Red Bell Pepper, Roasted
1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
¼ teaspoon Thyme
Red Beans and Rice
1 Onion, diced
1 Green Bell Pepper, diced
2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
3 Celery Stalks, diced
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
2, 15.5 oz cans No Salt Added Dark Red Kidney Beans, rinsed and drained
1 teaspoon Thyme, chopped
1 teaspoon Sage, chopped
¼ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
1 tablespoon Parsley, dried
½ teaspoon Sea Salt
½ teaspoon Black Pepper
1 Cup Cooked Brown Rice
1) Roast the red bell peppers directly over a gas flame or under the broiler, turning occasionally, until the peppers are blackened all over. Transfer the peppers to a bowl and let them cool completely.
2) When cooled, peel the peppers and discard the blackened skins, seeds and cores. Coarsely chop the peppers and place in a food processor with the olive oil and lemon juice. Puree until you have a smooth sauce. Season with thyme and set aside.
3) In the meantime, preheat oven to 425°F. Line a sheet pan with foil and add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Brush it over the foil where the fish will be placed.
4) Rinse and pat dry the tilapia. Brush the ½ tablespoon of remaining olive oil on the topside of the fillets. Coat the fillets with Blackened seasoning on both sides. Place on foiled baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes. Fish should be flaky and seasoning crispy.
5) While your fish is baking, heat olive oil for the red beans and rice in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and celery and cook until onion becomes translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, sauté for another minute. Then add your kidney beans, green bell pepper, thyme, sage, cayenne, parsley, sea salt and black pepper. Allow to simmer for about 5 more minutes. Stir in your cooked brown rice.
6) Serve with steamed broccoli or veggie of your choice!