What is dry ice, and how to get rid of it?
Dry Ice is cooled and condensed carbon dioxide. It skips the melting process and sublimates directly into carbon dioxide gas when it reaches room temperature and pressure and expands. It's extremely cold, and hovers around -109.3°F. For that reason, before handling please be aware of these notices!
- Never store dry ice in a tightly sealed container, such as a plastic or glass bottle, or any container with a screw-top lid that will not vent. Styrofoam is an appropriate storage material since it is both insulated and not airtight.
- To dispose of dry ice, place it in a well-ventilated area at room temperature; the remainder of the ice will sublimate away.
- Never dispose of dry ice in a trash can, chemical waste container or other garbage/waste can.
- Never dispose of dry ice in a sink, toilet or other fixture; the temperature difference can destroy the plumbing.
It is important to handle dry ice with care and wear protective clothing/gloves while doing so to prevent freezer burn. To safely dispose of dry ice, remove entrées from cooler, then leave any remaining dry ice inside cooler, with the box flaps loose, but not fully open. Allow dry ice to sublimate until all is gone, in a well-ventilated, safe area away from children or pets. No matter how tempting it maybe, do not EVER dispose of dry ice in a sink, drain, toilet or garbage can, as this can cause severe damage to pipes and surfaces.