The winter season often brings comfort foods rich in calories, carbs, and fat.
Our light and refreshing winter salad is a breath of fresh air amidst a dull winter sky and festive feast!
This mixed green salad is topped with pomegranate seeds and goat cheese, which is then dressed to perfection with a citrus vinaigrette.
Really, you do not want to miss out on this fresh pomegranate winter salad complete with a simple homemade dressing!
Winter Green Salad with Pomegranate Seeds
Nutrition per serving: 290 calories, 22 g fat, 8 g protein, 16 g total carb, 4 g fiber
Total prep time: 15 minutes
• 2 cups kale
• 2 cups baby spinach
• 1, 4.3-oz container pomegranate seeds (arils)
• 1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped
• 1/2 cup goat cheese, crumbled
• 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
• 1 Tbsp lemon juice
• 1 Tbsp honey
• 2 Tbsp olive oil
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large serving bowl, add salad greens, pomegranate seeds, pecans, and goat cheese.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the citrus vinaigrette ingredients and drizzle atop salad and serve.
Chef's Tips for Hearty Winter Salads
Looking for a heartier winter salad recipe? What about ways to expedite the preparation process? These chef tips are just for you!
• Add a lean protein source, including grilled chicken, for a well-balanced and hearty winter salad. Prepare a quinoa salad for a plant-based protein option.
• Add other favorite seasonal veggies to the mix, including roasted sweet potato and Brussels sprouts.
• Make in bulk for a crowd-pleasing winter salad for a dinner party.
• Use balsamic vinegar for a balsamic vinaigrette or other kinds of vinegar you have on hand.
• Prepare citrus vinaigrette ahead of time to ease a busy holiday schedule.
• Swap out cheeses to preference such as blue cheese or feta cheese.
How will you enjoy this power-packed green salad this winter (or year-round for that matter)?