Although, in theory, applesauce should satisfy the old adage of "An apple a day keeps the doctor away," store-bought applesauce today often contains added sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and preservatives that diminish the nutritive value of wholesome, fresh apples and derail your diet plan. Fortunately, you can maintain the nutritional integrity of apples and curb your sweet tooth by preparing a fresh, wholesome snack or dessert of homemade applesauce. The following healthy applesauce recipes are just what the doctor ordered.
Simple Homemade Applesauce
This easy, 3-ingredient, homemade applesauce recipe uses organic Pink Lady apples and a pinch of antioxidant-rich cinnamon to pack a punch of vitamins, minerals, and flavor without any added sugar.
● 6 organic Pink Lady apples, peeled and chopped (or your preferred apples)
● 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
● 1/2 cup of water
1. Bring all of the ingredients to a boil in a pot on the stovetop. Reduce the heat to low and cover with a lid.
2. Simmer the apples until soft, for approximately 20 minutes. Smaller pieces of apple will cook faster.
3. Remove the pot from the heat. For a chunkier texture, mash the mixture using a potato masher. For a smoother texture, blend the mixture in a food processor until the lumps disappear.
Tangy Homemade Applesauce
A splash of refreshing lemon and a half-and-half usage of Granny Smith apples and Braeburn apples make this applesauce recipe a tart and health-smart mid-morning snack or post-workout pick-me-up.
● 3 pounds apples, peeled, cored, and chopped into 1” cubes
● 1 teaspoon cinnamon
● 1 pinch nutmeg
● 1 1⁄2 cups water
● 2 lemon slices
● 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1. Bring all ingredients to a boil in a pot on high heat. Cover the pot and reduce heat to low.
2. Allow the mixture to simmer for 20 minutes, or until the apples have softened. During this time, stir often, ensuring that the apples do not stick to the bottom of the pot. If they begin to stick, add more water as needed.
3. Remove the mixture from the heat and remove the lemon slices. Mash the mixture with a potato masher or blend in a food processor before serving.
Spicy Homemade Applesauce
An aromatic medley of cinnamon, all spice, and ground cloves—along with a small serving of apple juice—accentuate the natural sweetness of apples in this homemade applesauce recipe.
● 16 medium apples, peeled and sliced
● 1 cup all-natural apple juice
● 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
● 1/2 teaspoon ground all spice
● 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1. Bring all ingredients to a boil in a Dutch oven on high heat. Reduce heat.
2. Simmer, covered, for 25-35 minutes or until the apples become tender. Stir occasionally.
3. Remove the mixture from the heat and mash it with a potato masher before serving warm or cold.
If you're ready to get out of the heat of the kitchen and enjoy healthy snacks and meals on-the-go, turn to bistroMD's diet delivery service for hassle-free deliveries of fresh, wholesome meals that make losing weight as easy as apple pie.