It is happening… A throbbing sweet tooth is emerging. You have a few options:
A. Grab a candy bar largely packed in sugar but falling short in nutrients.
B. Crunch on a nutrient-dense apple but still yearning for an added touch of sweetness.
C. Enjoy the best of both worlds with quick apple nachos (read on)!
Apple nachos might be a simple recipe, but oh how they are a special treat! Apple slices are layered with nutty peanut butter and preferred toppings, including
The recipe makes a single serving, but feel free to prepare in batch to share with others. (You will be the apple of their eye, guaranteed!)
So without further ado, a quick single-serve apple nacho recipe sure to satisfy that sweet treat craving!
Healthy Apple Nachos Recipe
Yield: 1 serving
Nutrition per serving: 190 calories, 9 g fat, 4 g protein, 29 g total carb, 5 g fiber
*Nutrition without toppings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
Total time: 5 minutes
• 1 medium Granny Smith apple (tart green apples work best, but feel free to use your favorite)
• 1 Tbsp peanut butter* (or other preferred nut butter such as cashew or almond butters)
• Small dish of lemon juice
• Preferred toppings, including chopped nuts and mini chocolate chips
1. Start by coring and thinly slicing the apple. Be careful to not cut too thin so they can hold toppings and be picked up without collapsing.
2. Arrange apple "chips" on a plate and lightly brush with lemon juice. This helps prevent the apples from browning, especially if not eating the apples right away.
3. Heat peanut butter in a microwave-safe bowl for about 20 seconds. Drizzle the apple slices with peanut butter and top with preferred toppings. (Delicious ideas below, including fresh berries for a "PB &J"!)
*To lower overall fat content without compromising protein and flavor, try powdered peanut butter. The consistency of powdered peanut butter can also be tweaked, including thin to pour or thick to smear.
Guilt-Free Dessert Apple Nacho Combo Ideas
Apple and peanut butter are a hard pairing to beat, but there are other ways to enjoy apple nachos. These include caramel apple and peanut butter and jelly combos, along with a hodgepodge of topping ideas listed below!
Caramel Apple Nachos
Craving a caramel apple but not all calories that come with it? Rather than caving into a caramel-soaked apple, prepare lightly-drizzled caramel apple slices to still satisfy that craving.
Melt caramel bits in a microwave-safe dish or heat a bottled caramel sauce used to top ice cream. Drizzle the caramel topping over the apple slices and top with crushed peanuts or other favorite garnishes.
Peanut Butter & Jelly Apple Nachos
Step aside, peanut butter and jelly! This innovative combo apples, peanut butter, and berries is here give that classic a run for its money!
Start by smear the apple slices with peanut butter, sticking to a tablespoon or two. Also use another favorite nut butter, including cashew or almond butters, as desired. Top the apple slices with peanut butter with favorite berries, including blackberries, blueberries, and strawberries.
Fall Harvest Apple Nachos
Truly get in the festive fall spirit with fall harvest apple nachos!
Simply plate the sliced apples, top with caramel or peanut butter, and garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds. Lightly drizzle with maple syrup or honey and sprinkle ground cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger atop.
Other Apple Nacho Toppings
While those combos above are nothing short of a-peel-ling, there are many ways to enjoy. From sweet and salty to soft and crunchy, give these topping ideas a try:
• Chopped peanuts
• Crushed pretzels or graham crackers
• Soft-baked or crunchy granola
• Melted white chocolate
• Mini chocolate chips
• Shredded coconut
• Slivered almonds
• Toffee bits
Really, the toppings and flavor combos are limitless, so feel free to be as creative or simple as desired. When using ingredients rich in calories, including chocolate chips and toffee bits, practice proper portion control.