Healthy Stuffed Cabbage Rolls with Tomato Sauce Recipe
Looking to impress your dinner guests? Look no further than this stuffed cabbage recipe packed with fresh ingredients and flavor!
Halupki, or stuffed cabbage, originates from Russia and Ukraine.
Cabbage leaves are stuffed with a spiced ground meat and rice mixture then topped with a fragrant tomato sauce. It is then simmered to perfection and plated for all to enjoy.
We perfected this traditional favorite and decided to share it with you! Find out how to make stuffed cabbage here.
Healthy Stuffed Cabbage with Tomato Sauce Recipe
Yield: About 6 servings, 2 rolls per serving
Nutrition per serving: 300 calories, 10 g fat, 21 g protein, 31 g total carb, 5 g fiber
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 2 hours
• 1 head green cabbage
• 1, 28-oz can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
• 2 tsp brown sugar
• 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
• 1/4 cup water
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 1 Tbsp olive oil
• 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 lb 90/10 beef, ground
• 1/2 cup white basmati rice, uncooked
• 1 egg
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and coat a 13 X 9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil on the stovetop. Add cabbage and cook until tender or about 3 minutes. Carefully drain the water then gently remove about 12 leaves from the head of cabbage.
3. In a medium saucepan, add crushed tomatoes, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and water. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
4. In a large bowl, add onion, garlic, ground beef, rice, and egg. Combine until well incorporated.
5. Spread a very thin layer of the tomato sauce mixture in the bottom of the baking dish.
6. Lay the cabbage leaf flat and add 1/4 cup meat mixture to the center of the leaf. Fold in the sides and roll the cabbage up. Place the seam-side down in the dish. Repeat with remaining cabbage.
7. Pour remaining sauce over the cabbage and cover tightly with foil. Bake about an hour, or until the meat has reached an internal temperature of 160°F.
Bonus Tips for Healthy Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Looking for tips to truly make this stuffed cabbage roll recipe your own? What about a way to expedite the cooking process? We have you covered!
1. Use another lean meat.
Swap out ground beef for ground turkey or chicken. Or, omit the meat entirely for a vegetarian side dish.
2. Swap rice for a rice alternative.
Looking for a rice alternative? Swap it out with another barley, couscous, or another nutrient-dense whole grain.
Quinoa is also a great swap, as it offers plant-based protein if both meat and rice are dismissed.
3. Add fresh herbs and spices.
Elevate the freshness and flavor by adding favorite herbs and spices, including basil and parsley. Fan of spice? Add some red pepper flakes!
4. Prepare a quick tomato sauce.
As a quick hack, prepare a quick tomato sauce by using tomato soup.
You can also sub out chopped onion and garlic by infusing flavor with onion and garlic powders.