Healthy Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
Nutritious and delicious, what more could you ask for in a warm soup? Find out how we made healthy broccoli cheddar soup so simple to prepare and even easier to enjoy!
Nutritious, creamy, flavorful… What more could you ask for in a warm soup?
Well, maybe that is so simple to prepare and easier to enjoy! In fact, this healthy broccoli cheddar soup comes together in 30 minutes or less!
The soup is also devoid of gluten for those requiring or desiring a gluten-free diet. Because whereas most recipes use flour as a thickening agent, potato starch sets this soup to perfection.
Find out how to make a healthy broccoli cheddar soup, along with preparation and storage pro tips!
Cheddar and Broccoli Soup Recipe
Yield: 6 servings
Nutrition per serving: 200 calories, 11 g fat, 15 g protein, 13 g total carb, 2 g fiber
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 to 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 medium onion, diced
• 5 cups fresh broccoli, chopped
• 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
• 5 cups chicken broth or chicken stock
• 2 1/2 cups low-fat milk
• 8 ounces reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded
• Salt and black pepper to taste
1. In a large pot or Dutch oven, sauté the garlic with oil over low to medium heat for about 3 minutes.
2. Add onion, broccoli, and carrots and sauté for another 5 minutes. The onion should be translucent and soft.
3. Pour chicken broth into the pot and let it simmer for about 15 minutes until the broccoli is tender. Add milk and continue to simmer.
4. Over low heat, add the grated cheese gradually. Stir constantly and continue to do so until all cheese is melted. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Enjoy as-is with broccoli florets or puree with an immersion blender. Or, remove some broccoli florets with a slotted spoon before blending then add back in if desiring some pieces.
Can frozen broccoli be used over fresh?
Yes, both fresh and frozen broccoli work equally as well!
Simply follow the recipe outlined above, as the frozen broccoli should still cook at the same speed as fresh. All-in-all, stop simmering once the broccoli is tender.
Can broccoli cheese soup be frozen?
But we do recommend following a few steps to ensure it retains its freshness.
1. Allow broccoli and cheese soup to cool completely at room temperature.
2. Transfer to a sealed, freezer-safe container.
3. For even reheating, thaw in the fridge the night prior to using. Reheat over low and stir frequently to avoid curdling.
If planning to enjoy in the near future, store the broccoli and cheese in the fridge for up to five days.
Is there a way to make broccoli and cheese soup vegan-friendly?
With a few tweaks, it can happen!
To make a vegan-friendly broccoli “cheddar” soup, gather these ingredients:
• 5 cups vegetable broth
• 2 1/2 cups plant-based milk such as cashew milk
• 1 to 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast, adding in after the broth and with the milk
Is the soup considered a balanced meal?
A balanced meal is complete with fiber, protein, and fat and the soup offers just that!
However, there are ways to add a little extra nutrient power to this already nutrient-dense soup. The soup pairs deliciously with these proteins:
• Baked chicken breast
• Grilled salmon
• Pan-fried tofu
• Pan-seared sirloin
• Roasted chickpeas (especially garnished atop!)
Also, add bulk and elevate nutrient content with low-carb veggies, including:
Feel free to flavor with other favorite spices and seasonings, too. These may include paprika, nutmeg, red pepper flakes, and parsley (just to name a few)!