Homemade Mexican Chicken Fajitas Recipe
Fresh and flavorful, fajitas are a fan favorite that can be prepared many ways. Learn how to prepare chicken fajitas, and other varieties, all in the comfort of home!
Fresh, flavorful, a fan favorite…
Yes, we are talking about Mexican fajitas!
Surprisingly, such a favored meal of choice can easily be prepared in the comfort of home! And not to mention, the fajitas can satisfy the nutrient needs of the entire family.
Mostly prepared with chicken or beef, fajitas are jam-packed with protein. The colorful peppers, onions, and other veggie toppings supply powerful antioxidants and fiber that support overall health.
Ready to jump into the recipe? Find out how to prepare chicken fajitas using the stovetop, slow cooker, or grill here!
Also, read on to learn creative ways to serve that fajitas beyond a tortilla!
Traditional Chicken Fajitas Recipe
Yield: 5 servings
Nutrition per serving: 200 calories, 9g fat, 22g protein, 9g total carb, 3g fiber
*Nutrition per serving includes marinade, chicken and fajita veggie mix only as tortillas have varying nutrition facts
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
• 3 Tbsp olive oil
• 2 Tbsp lime juice
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 1/2 jalapeño, seeded and minced
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 4, 4-oz chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
• 1 medium red bell pepper, julienned
• 1 medium green bell pepper, julienned
• 1 medium orange bell pepper, julienned
• 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1. Combine 2 tablespoons of olive oil, lime juice, garlic, jalapeño, cumin, chili powder, and salt in a large airtight bowl or Ziploc bag. Add the chicken breasts, coat, and set in the fridge to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil to a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. In the same skillet, add marinated chicken and evenly distribute. Cook for about 5 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. Set cooked chicken aside.
3. As the chicken rests, add bell pepper and onion in the same skillet. Saute for about 5 minutes, or until the mixture is tender and slightly charred.
4. Slice the chicken into 1/2" thin strips then add to the skillet with the pepper and onion. Heat through then serve warm with flour tortillas, rice, and other pairings offered below.
Bonus Ways to Cook and Serve Fajitas
Want to heat up the grill on a warm summer day? Looking for a veggie fajita recipe?
If you love this recipe, you will love these bonus tips to prep and enjoy fajitas!
Slow-Cooker Chicken Fajitas
The slow cooker is perfect to use before a busy workday.
Or, on a weekend when you would rather be spending time making memories with friends and family. (And not worrying about preparing dinner once you get home!)
Chicken fajitas are one of the best healthy, high-protein slow-cooker recipes and easy-to-make! Here is how to do it:
1. In a crock-pot, chicken breasts, sliced bell peppers, sliced onion, and a cup of preferred fresh salsa.
2. Sprinkle seasonings or packeted fajita seasoning atop. Set on low heat for 6 to 7 hours or high heat for 3 to 4 hours.
3. Shred the chicken with a fork or cut into thin strips. Serve as desired.
Grilled Chicken Fajitas
Grilling the fajitas offers a smoky flavor, while likewise being simple to do! So heat up the grill and follow these simple steps:
1. Marinade the chicken breasts as detailed in the original recipe.
2. Heat the grill to medium-high heat. While the grill is heating, cook the peppers and onions on the stovetop in a skillet then set aside.
3. When the grill is hot, remove chicken from the marinade and set aside the excess. Place the chicken skin-side down and grill for about 5 minutes on each side. Baste chicken with marinade after flipping for a juicy product.
4. Remove cooked chicken from the grill and let cool for about 5 minutes before cutting into thin strips.
5. Arrange onion and pepper mixture with the fajita chicken and serve.
Other Protein-Packed Fajitas
Fajitas are flexible in nature and can harness many other protein sources and flavors beyond chicken. Feel free to mix or swap out chicken with:
• Rib meat
• Skirt steak
If looking for a vegetarian fajita recipe, add in your favorite plant-based protein such as:
• Black beans
• Refried beans
• Tempeh or tofu
Also feel free to pack with other veggies, including:
• Portabello mushrooms
• Sweet potatoes
Fiesta Fajita Friday
If Fiesta Fajita Friday is not a "thing" just yet, it should be! (Or, really, any other day of the week.)
Fajitas are traditionally served with corn or flour tortillas, along with chopped tomato, sour cream, and shredded lettuce.
But why not be creative with a Mexican fiesta fajita bar?
Set out a variety of shells and rice, including warm tortillas, brown rice, and cauliflower rice. Also serve with other toppings and sauces such as:
• Avocado slices
• Creamy cashew sauce
• Diced tomato
• Fresh cilantro
• Hot sauce
• Jalapeño slices
• Lemon or lime juices and wedges
• Pico de gallo
• Roasted corn
• Shredded lettuce
• Sour cream
And to really make the night a fiesta, blend up and enjoy a guilt-free frozen strawberry margarita!