Curry Roasted Butternut Squash & Cauliflower with Chickpeas Recipe
Fretting over what to make at your next get together? Keep calm on curry on with the butternut squash and cauliflower with chickpeas recipe!
Fretting over what to make at your next get together?
Keep calm on curry on!
While there are many culinary versions of curry, including curry soup with coconut milk, ours is seasoned and roasted to perfection.
Aromatic olive oil and curry seasoning wonderfully balance the nutty sweetness from cauliflower and butternut squash. The veggies are then topped with sauteed chickpeas.
The chickpea topping adds an amazing layer of texture and freshness to the overall dish. It consists of lightly sautéed fresh and crunchy celery, nicely caramelized onions and chickpeas.
Every mouthful is a burst of flavor, fresh and an unmatched amount of spice. It also is a hearty dish that keeps and travels well.
Really, you will love this recipe!
Curry Roasted Butternut Squash & Cauliflower with Roasted Chickpeas Recipe
Yield: 8 servings
Nutrition per serving: 230 calories, 10 g fat, 7 g protein, 29 g total carb, 7 g fiber
Prep time: 50 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 40 minutes
• 2/3 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight
• 5 cups butternut squash, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
• 5 Tbsp olive oil
• 3 tsp curry powder
• 1 tsp sea salt
• 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
• 6 cups cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets
• 2 cups onion, fine diced
• 1 cup celery, thin sliced
1. Add chickpeas to a medium bowl and soak in the fridge overnight or for at least 8 hours.
2. When ready to make the dish, preheat oven to 400°F. Drain chickpeas and place in a large pot covered with at least 1-inch of excess water. Bring to boil and cook over the boiling heat for about 45 minutes until tender. Drain and set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, mix 2 tablespoons oil, 1 1/2 teaspoon curry powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add cauliflower florets and mix well to coat thoroughly. Spread cauliflower on a large baking sheet in a single layer.
4. In the same mixing bowl, mix 2 Tbsp oil, 1 1/2 teaspoon curry powder, and ½ teaspoon salt. Add and toss squash until coated.
5. Spread butternut squash onto another large baking sheet, making sure that the cubes are spread in a single layer.
6. Bake cauliflower in the oven for 20 minutes and butternut squash for 40 minutes. Place the butternut squash on a rack lower than the cauliflower on the rack above.
7. While the cauliflower and butternut squash are baking, make chickpea topping. In a large sauté pan over medium heat, heat 1 Tbsp oil and sweat onions for about 3 minutes.
8. Add celery and sweat for another 3 minutes. Add boiled chickpeas and cook until slightly caramelized, about 10 to 12 minutes. Turn off heat, add salt and pepper to taste, and set aside.
9. Once the cauliflower and butternut squash are roasted, transfer into a serving bowl. Top with the sautéed chickpeas topping and serve right away.
How to Make Homemade Curry Powder
Curry powder is a mixture of spices sporting a yellow-ish hue. The spice mixture is rather complex, described as sweet and savory. It offers some spice, too, though the level of heat depends on the spices added.
Taken together, curry powder offers a warm, robust, and earthy flavor to any dish, this one included. It can likewise be prepared at home for the ultimate freshness!
To make homemade curry powder, add the following spices and herbs in a mason jar or other airtight container:
• 3 Tbsp ground cumin
• 2 Tbsp ground coriander seeds
• 1 Tbsp ground turmeric
• 2 tsp ground ginger
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp ground cardamom seeds
• 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
• 1/2 tsp chili powder or red pepper flakes
Feel free to tweak ingredients as preferred, including using more or less chili powder depending on the desired spice level.