Healthy Air Fryer Zucchini Fries Recipe
If looking for a low-fat french fry for your next tailgate, we have the recipe for you. Really, these air fryer zucchini fries change the game!
Looking for a low-fat french fry for your next tailgate, BBQ, or other gettogether?
We have the recipe for you thanks to one secret weapon…
Introducing: The air fryer!
An air fryer namely uses hot air to cook the food thanks to fan circulation. This nixes deep frying and heavy amounts of oil while still gifting crispy french fries.
The recipe also uses zucchini, a low-carb veggie with versatile use such as in this zucchini noodles with pesto recipe. The veggie is perfect for those trying to increase veggie intake or simply feeling adventurous in the kitchen!
Other team players of this recipe include pantry staples and dip options that truly change the game!
Air Fryer Zucchini Fries Recipe
Yield: 6 servings
Nutrition per serving: 180 calories, 3 g fat, 8 g protein, 30 g total carb, 3 g fiber
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
• 4 large zucchini (about 6 cups)
• 1/2 cup flour
• 2 eggs
• 1 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Prepare the zucchini by cutting off the stem and ends. Wash and pat dry, using a paper towel as needed. It is important to make sure all excess water dried from the zucchini to avoid soggy fries.
2. Cut the zucchini in half length-wise, then cut into thin strips to make the "fries." They can be cut into discs as well.
3. Line 3 small dishes beside one another. In the first dish, add flour. In the second dish, whisk together the eggs until yolks and whites are combined. In the third dish, add the Panko breadcrumbs.
4. One at a time, dip the zucchini fries into the flour until coated. Follow with the egg then bread crumbs.
5. Add the zucchini fries a few at a time, and toss until coated. Place them into the air fryer tray. Repeat until all zucchini are coated.
6. Add fries to the air fryer basket, making sure they are not overlapping. Lightly spray the tops with nonstick oil.
7. Set an air fryer for 400°F and cook for about 8 minutes. Check to see if they are golden brown and if not, cook 1 to 2 more minutes.
8. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce (read on for delicious dip options)!
No air fryer? No problem! Simply follow the instructions up until step 6, then use these steps to bake in the oven:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and grease or line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Evenly disperse zucchini fries and bake for 15 minutes.
3. Flip the fries over then cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until golden. To crisp coating further, broil for a minute or two, paying close attention to prevent burning.
Delicious Dip Combos for Air Fryer Fries
The air fryer zucchini fries are so very versatile and can harness the flavors of many different seasonings and dips. Some fan favorites include Greek yogurt ranch, Mexican-style, and Italian!
1. Greek Yogurt Ranch
Store-bought dressing tends to be locked and loaded with added sugars, oils, and other preservatives.
By preparing homemade Greek yogurt ranch, turn a class from drab to fab and boost overall protein content! Doing so is simple, too, just mix the following ingredients in a serving bowl:
• 1 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 1 tsp onion powder
• 1 tsp dried parsley
• 1 tsp dried dill
• 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1 tsp freshly chopped dill
Feel free to adjust seasonings per liking, too. Really enjoy garlic? Add more garlic powder (or fresh)! Not so fond of onion? Reduce or omit the onion powder.
Preparing ahead of time and allowing to set in the fridge allows the flavor to marry and intensify!
2. Mexican-Style Edamole
It looks like guac and taste like guac, but its better! Wait, what? We didn't think that was possible either…
Edamame + Guacamole = Edamole
Edamole substitutes edamame for avocados to boost protein and fiber content while lowering fat and overall calories.
To make the fries extra festive for #TacoTuesday, season with chili powder, cumin, and red pepper flakes. Really spice it up with a dash (or a few) of hot sauce, too!
Taste the flavors of Italy similar to eggplant parmesan, just in fry form!
Instead of using Panko, dip the zucchini fries in Italian breadcrumbs. Season with oregano and parsley, cook in the air fryer, then sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Dip into warm marinara sauce for a true flavor trip to Italy.
Oh, and remember the zucchini noodles with pesto recipe mentioned up top? Use the fresh pesto as a dipping sauce:
• 2 cups of fresh basil leaves, cleaned and pat dry
• 2 garlic cloves
• 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
• 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
• 1/2 cup grated parmesan or pecorino cheese
• Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
Serve the pesto warm or at room temperature per liking.