10 Healthy Dessert Ideas that Won't Ruin Your Diet
No one enjoys the guilt that comes with eating a high-calorie, low nutritional value dessert. We are here to help with 10 healthier desserts that taste great but won't ruin your diet.
Unlike popular belief, eating dessert can absolutely (and should) fit into a well-balanced diet plan.
Besides, dissimilar from most desserts, healthy twists in these recipes and ideas are sure to satisfy that sweet tooth without derailing health goals!
Healthy Dessert Recipes and Ideas
1. Strawberry Shortcake Kabobs
Just as adding vegetables on pizza does not justify it is as healthy, a fruit-containing dessert such as strawberry shortcake is not automated as healthy, either.
But rather than throwing out summertime favorites, these strawberry shortcake kabobs are spun into healthier desserts for all to enjoy, all while preserving authentic freshness and appeal.
How to Make:
Cut and alternate fresh strawberries and small pound cake cubes on a skewer. Drizzle the kabobs with a low-fat whipped cream for an extra hint of strawberry shortcake appeal.
2. No-Bake Protein Energy Bites
For when you want something sweet but not all the calories that come with it, these energy bites are one of the best healthy sweet snacks and treats!
Not to mention, they are easy to prepare, convenient, and versatile to take on other ingredients, including dried fruit, chocolate protein powder, etc.
• 2 cups rolled oats
• ½ cup vanilla whey protein powder (about 2 scoops)
• ½ cup natural peanut butter
• ½ cup honey or agave
• ¼ cup flax seeds
• 1 tablespoon chia seeds
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 tablespoons mini dark chocolate chips
1. In a food processor, add rolled oats, vanilla protein powder, peanut butter, honey, flax and chia seeds, cinnamon, and vanilla extract.
2. Pulse until ingredients are well-incorporated.
3. Transfer mixture into a large bowl then fold in chocolate chips.
4. Roll mixture into 1-inch balls and place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
5. Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes and enjoy!
3. Chocolate Peanut Butter Nut Clusters
The small, sweet bites of the nut clusters keep portions under control while satisfying that sweet tooth. And unlike most desserts, these nut clusters are filled with healthy fat and protein.
How to Make:
Melt desired chocolate and nuts together, such as dark chocolate and almonds. Spoon quarter-sized scoops on nonstick parchment paper, freeze until the chocolate is hardened, then enjoy!
4. Microwaveable Apple Pie
The warm, sweet taste of fresh apple pie is a temptation even not on fall holidays… And fortunately, one of the healthiest desserts is simple and quick to prepare thanks to this five-minute, single-serve apple crisp!
5. Fruit Salad
Fruit and salad? What is not healthy about that pairing? Unfortunately, some fruit salads contain lots of added syrups as well as high-fat cream. But besides the natural sugar supplied from the fruit and yogurt, this sugar-free dessert is overflowing in nutrients!
How to Make:
Cut preferred fruits into small chunks; tropical fruits with fresh pineapple, mangoes, oranges, and kiwi; berries filled with vibrant strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries; or any other combination desired. Use a non or low-fat Greek yogurt to coat the fruit for added creaminess and protein without introducing significant amounts of calories and fat.
6. Avocado Ice Cream
Avocado ice cream is a dairy-free, vegetarian option that offers smoothness and creaminess without all the added sugars and unwanted ingredients tied to traditional ice creams. All you need is a few common ingredients and your favorite ice cream bowl!
• 3 ripe avocados
• 3 medium-sized bananas - peeled, chopped, and frozen (Tip: Peel and slice ripe bananas and keep in freezer to have pre-frozen and on hand)
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 1/4 cup your favorite unsweetened milk (cow's, almond, cashew); can also add 1 tablespoon at a time in addition as needed
• Optional sweeteners and add-ins
1. Cut avocados in half, remove the pits, and scrape out the edible flesh into a food processor.
2. Add frozen banana chunks and vanilla extract to food processor.
3. Process ingredients together until the mixture is smooth. Splash with milk as needed to soften the mixture. Stop processing and scrape the edges as needed.
4. Top with sliced fruit, chopped nuts, cocoa nibs, and other favorites!
7. Easy Fruit Sorbets
Sorbets are naturally low-fat desserts and versatile to satisfy a multitude of fruity flavors. Because in reality, sorbet is a mixture of sugar-water, a lemon or lime juice, and fruit that is frozen after blended.
So rather than purchasing sorbets laden in refined sugar, prepare these naturally-sweetened, easy fruit sorbet recipes in the comfort of your own home.
8. Grilled Banana Split Boats
This recipe is fun for the whole family during the warm, summer months when the grill is in the spotlight!
How to Make:
Start by cutting bananas lengthwise, about a half inch deep. Open the peels to form pockets and fill with favorite toppings, including mini chocolate chips, strawberries, and coconut. Shape aluminum foil around bananas, resembling boats, and grill for approximately five to 10 minutes.
9. Edible Cookie Dough
Want to indulge on the flavors of cookie dough without the guilt or worry of raw egg consumption? Look no further than this edible cookie dough recipe!
10. Strawberry Cheesecake Wonton Cups
While cheesecake is nothing short of irresistible, it is often laden in calories, fat, and sugar. But to have your cheesecake and eat it, too, put these proportioned strawberry cheesecake wonton cups in your healthier desserts repertoire.
• 12 wonton cups
• ¼ cup granulated sugar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• ½ cup strawberries, washed and diced (Also swap strawberries out with cherries as desired for a decadent cherry cheesecake flavor!)
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly spray 24-cup mini muffin tin with nonstick spray.
2. Create the wonton cups by placing a wrapper into alternating tips, pressing down and arranging into a cup shape. Bake the cups until the edges are golden, or approximately 5 minutes, then allow to cool.
3. In a mixing bowl, whisk together 4-ounces softened Greek yogurt cream cheese, ¼ cup granulated sugar, and one teaspoon of vanilla extract. Once smooth, fold in ½ cup of bite-sized pieces of fresh strawberries.
4. Fill strawberry cheesecake mixture into cooled wonton cups and garnish with crushed graham cracker.