Healthy Lunch Ideas for Work
You do not want to miss these healthy lunches for work! Not only are they simple to make, but sure to satisfy the stomach and enhance energy for latter half of the workday.
We have all been there…
It is an hour before lunchtime and the stomach starts to already growl. And by the time lunch comes around, making healthy choices often takes the back seat. (While gravitating to any available sustenance takes the front.)
Because really, something quick to satisfy that intense hunger in a hurry usually wins over waiting for a healthy option!
Eating a protein-packed breakfast is the first step to keeping hunger levels at bay throughout the morning. The next is packing and taking healthy lunch options.
Eating these balanced meals can move mountains when it comes to good health. They also lead to more a satisfied stomach and greater energy levels for the latter half of the workday!
5 Healthy Lunch Ideas for Work
From a light chicken salad to versatile use of a pita, do not miss out on these healthy lunches for work. Oh, and they are simple to make and bursting with flavor!
1. Waldorf Chicken Salad
Most chicken salad recipes are heavy in saturated fat and calories. But this variation is light and packed with protein and healthy fat. It is also sure to keep hunger eased for the rest of the afternoon!
What's more, it is made in batch to last for multiple lunches or even as a nutritious snack!
2 cups shredded chicken
1 apple of choice, diced
½ cup nonfat, plain Greek yogurt
½ cup red grapes, halved
½ cup celery, roughly chopped
¼ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
¼ cup honey mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix until well combined.
Ration ¼ of the chicken salad packing for lunch.
2. Enjoy as is, smear onto whole grain crackers, or top onto a bed of lettuce leaves. Also use as a dip for veggies slices, including carrot, cucumber, and bell pepper.
2. Pita with Fresh Ingredients
Who says lunchtime is designated to a standard sandwich? Shake up the lunch time by stuffing a pita with fresh and satisfying ingredients.
Need some inspiration? Give this pizza-style pita a try.
1, 8” pita
10 turkey pepperoni slices
½ green bell pepper, sliced
¼ cup marinara sauce
¼ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1. Take an 8" pita and slice it in two halves.
2. Stuff with the pizza toppings, also adjusting the ingredients to preference, and pack for lunch.
3. When ready to enjoy, nook briefly in the microwave to melt the cheese. Sprinkle with a light dusting of parmesan as desired.
4. Serve with a small side salad or steamed broccoli for a completely balanced lunch.
Want a plant-based option? Take a quick trip to the Mediterranean with this roasted sweet potato and chickpea salad pita. Or try a black bean pita pocket.
Try it rustic with sliced turkey, goat cheese, and thin slices of pear. Give a philly cheesesteak a healthy makeover with roast beef, onion, bell pepper, and a wedge of provolone.
There truly are endless possibilities for pita!
3. Cucumber Sushi
Cucumber sushi is one of the most fun lunch ideas for work! They are also versatile to take on favorite sushi flavors, including the inspiration from a California roll detailed below.
However, feel free to adjust ingredients, including using salmon, shrimp, tuna, and other favorite fish.
3 ounces crabmeat, real or imitation
¼ cup sushi rice, cooked
¼ avocado, sliced
¼ red pepper, sliced
1. Cut cucumber in half. Using a spoon, scrape out the seeds of each half so it forms a hollow tube.
2. Spoon in shrimp, sushi rice, avocado, and red pepper into each cucumber half until full.
3. Cut filled cucumber into thick pieces, in which the toppings should be visible in the center.
4. Pack then dress with Sriracha and soy sauce as desired when ready to enjoy.
4. Boston Lettuce Wraps
Boston lettuce is surprisingly strong. Their wide leaves are truly begging to be filled one your favorite protein sources and flavors, including this Asian-inspired recipe!
Ingredients for the filling:
1 package of ground turkey
1 tablespoon sesame oil
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Sriracha (or adjusted to spice preference)
1. In a large pan over medium heat, cook turkey with oil over until crumbled, brown, and no longer pink. Add the green onions and garlic.
2. In a small bowl, mix soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and Sriracha until combined. Add to mixture to turkey and increase to medium-high heat. Allow turkey and sauce mixture heat and combine for approximately 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. When taking this health lunch for work, pack ¼ of the filling. Also pack Boston lettuce separately. When lunch rolls around, simply spoon in the turkey mixture into lettuce leaves, wrap, and enjoy!
Boston lettuce also perfectly houses this light tuna salad:
Ingredients for tuna salad:
5-ounce can of wild albacore tuna with a small avocado
1 large carrot, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Mix all ingredients until combined in a sealable container.
2. Pack tuna salad mixture and lettuce separately and assemble come lunchtime as indicated above.
5. Dinner Leftovers
Let that healthy dinner prepared last night spill over to healthy lunches for work! Because if already preparing a meal, why not make a little more for lunch the next day?
Make a few extra meatballs and a little extra side of sautéed veggies. Also take advantage of making a big batch of chilis, soups, and casseroles. Not only can this help save on money, but ease the workday and ensure a satisfying lunch hour!
But with busy schedules, preparing a balanced dinner and packing a lunch day-in and day-out can be a challenge. If looking for healthy lunch options without the hassle of meal prep, look to a meal delivery service such as bistroMD!
BistroMD offers a delivery program that takes out the guesswork to help develop healthy eating habits. All meals are balanced and personalized to ensure nutrition needs for weight loss and overall health are being met.
Also offering 200 recipes and a customizable menu, there is always a meal to satisfy all lunchtime cravings. Enjoy the appealing meal selections of a chicken meatball marinara wrap, sliced ham with mustard maple sauce, southwest bison meatloaf with smoky tomato glaze, just to name a few…
Truly, making healthy food and lunch choices has never been so convenient, simple, and delicious!