Meatloaf recipes are a dime a dozen… Until now!
We shake up the classic meatloaf by using lean ground beef to reduce saturated fat content. Quinoa takes the place of bread crumbs for an added boost of plant protein!
Oh, and did we mention the honey bourbon glaze drizzled atop?
Find out how to make meatloaf with bourbon glaze packed, along with nutritious and delicious serving ideas for the ultimate meal!
Yield: 8 servings
Nutrition per serving: 280 calories, 10 g fat, 27 g protein, 20 g total carb, 2 g fiber
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Total time:60 minutes
• 2 lb lean ground beef (93/7 or leaner)
• 1 small onion, diced
• 1/2 cup carrots, grated
• 1 cup quinoa, cooked
• 2 eggs, whole
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 green bell pepper, finely diced
• 1 tsp Dijon mustard
• 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
• 1 tsp sea salt
• 1 tsp black pepper
• 1 tsp olive oil
• 1 cup ketchup
• 1/2 cup water
• 1 Tbsp brown sugar
• 1 Tbsp honey
• 1/4 cup bourbon
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, add beef, onion, carrot, cooked quinoa, egg, garlic, bell pepper, mustard, Worcestershire, salt, and pepper. Mix until all ingredients are evenly distributed and the mixture holds together.
2. Transfer to a greased meatloaf pan. If lacking a loaf pan, no problem! Simply add a grate to a baking dish to elevate the meatloaf and shape meat into a loaf. Bake for about 50 minutes or until the juices run clear.
3. While meatloaf is baking, make the honey bourbon glaze recipe by heating olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add water, brown sugar, honey, ketchup, and bourbon and whisk until all ingredients are combined and smooth. Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally until the consistency of a thick glaze.
4. After about 35 minutes of baking, brush the top of the meatloaf with the honey bourbon glaze. Continue baking for the additional 15 minutes.
5. Let the meatloaf cool about 10 minutes prior to slices and then drizzle with remaining honey bourbon glaze.
Looking for an authentic pairing for the meatloaf recipe? What about one that might be a touch unique? These pairings are so delicious, you will want to print the recipes of all!
Mashed potatoes are a favorite comfort food pairing with classic meatloaf. While mashed potatoes can fit into a balanced diet, this mashed cauliflower recipe suits any meal plan without sacrificing flavor.
Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Tots
For a unique twist on a traditional potato and meatloaf pairing, try out these cheesy broccoli cauliflower tots! Baked not fried, the tots are slim on the calories while being packed with mega flavor and nutrients.
Gooey, cheesy, healthy, tasty… Do not miss out on this uniquely flavorful and nutritious cheesy quinoa side!
Italian Seasoned Green Beans
If tired of the routined canned green veggies accompanying each meal, give this Italian flat beans recipe a go! Not only is it packed with flavor, but comes together in a quick 15 minutes.
While rice might not be a likely meatloaf side dish, the starchiness it offers balanced the protein perfectly. Learn how to cook brown rice perfectly and also serve with a preferred veggie, including the ones mentioned below!
Cream of Mushroom Soup
For an ultra hearty and warm meal, pair with cream of cauliflower soup. The creaminess from the soup complements the meat dish perfectly!
Honey Glazed Carrots
Seasoned and glazed to perfection, do not miss out on these honey-roasted carrots even the pickiest eaters will love!
Crispy Roasted Brussels Sprouts
These roasted Brussels sprouts are crisped to perfection. They also can harness delicious toppings, including pancetta, parmesan cheese, balsamic vinegar, and maple syrup.
Oven Roasted Italian Cauliflower
Italian cauliflower is packed with flavor and pairs perfectly with so many dishes, this meatloaf recipe included! The recipe calls for a few staple ingredients, baking sheet, and only five minutes of prep time!