Beef stroganoff is a traditional Russian dish relished for its juiciness, tenderness, and richness. And while it may have originated in the 19th century, it continues to be a family favorite to this very day.
Throughout the years, the recipe has been tweaked and modified. Some recipes call for ground beef, cream of mushrooms soup, Worcestershire sauce, white wine, whathaveyou.
But we think our beef stroganoff gives other recipes a run for its money!
We sauté the rich flavors of onion, garlic, mushrooms, and tender cuts of lean beef. It is then finished with port wine, beef stock, sour cream, and a pinch of parsley and served with egg noodles.
Find out how to make easy beef stroganoff with the use of one pan. And when we say easy, this great recipe takes a quick 30 minutes from start to finish!
(Read on to find another easy way to prep the dish and options to satisfy dairy-free and low-carb diets.)
One Pan Beef Stroganoff Recipe
Yield: 6 servings
Nutrition per serving: 350 calories, 11 g fat, 26 g protein, 36 g total carb, 3 g fiber
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
• 1 Tbsp olive oil
• 16 oz cremini mushrooms, thickly sliced
• 1 medium sweet onion, diced
• 1 lb steak tips
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
• 1/4 cup port wine
• 4 cup beef stock, low sodium (or beef broth)
• 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
• 8 oz egg noodles, dry
• 1/2 cup sour cream
• 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
• Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Add olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender and browned, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Add steak tips and cook until browned, about 5 minutes, making sure to brown on each side. Stir in garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute.
3. Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute.
4. Stir in wine, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet.
5. Stir in beef stock, Dijon mustard, and egg noodles. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat and simmer until pasta is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
6. Stir in sour cream and garnish with parsley, if desired. Serve immediately while warm.
Additional Beef Stroganoff Cooking & Serving Options
Want another easy beef stroganoff recipe? Looking for a dairy-free or low-carb way to serve it? We have these solutions below!
Extra Easy Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
The one-pot beef stroganoff is already a simple recipe to throw together. And the use of a slow cooker can simplify the process, too!
Grab a slow cooker, the stroganoff ingredients, and follow these simple steps:
1. Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet or pan. Add beef, browning 3 to 4 minutes on each side, and add to slow cooker.
2. Add the mushrooms, onion, and garlic to the skillet and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until soft and browned.
3. Whisk port wine and flour together in a small bowl. Pour mixture, along with the beef broth and mustard, in the slow cooker.
4. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours.
5. Uncover the slow cooker and a stir in sour cream until blended. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Turn off slow cooker and fold in cooked egg noodles until coated.
Come home to one appetizing meal!
Dairy-Free Cream Sauce
Most beef stroganoff recipes call for sour cream, cream cheese, and other dairy products. However, using a cashew cream offers creaminess without the use of dairy.
It can also be made simply at home! Follow these two steps for a dairy-free sour cream option:
1. Soak 1 cup cashews in about 1/2 cup of water, or enough to cover, for an hour or overnight. Drain off the water.
2. In a high-speed blender, process the cashews and slowly add in non-dairy milk to yield a thick consistency. Scrape the sides as needed.
Low-Carb Beef Stroganoff
Omit the egg noodles and pair the beef mixture with mashed cauliflower, a low-carb option for mashed potatoes.