Healthy Holiday Gingerbread Cookie Recipe
This easy recipe is perfect for baking aficionados and anyone who loves a classic holiday dessert as much as we do. Indulge in the sweet and gooey sensation of these healthy holiday gingerbread cookies!
This easy recipe is perfect for baking aficionados and anyone who loves a classic holiday dessert as much as we do. Indulge in the sweet and gooey sensation of your first bite from this easy-to-bake holiday staple, and share that warm feeling of holiday bliss with your friends and family. All for just 75 calories with frosting, and a mere 55 calories without!
Depending on the size of your cookie cutter, this makes about 48 cookies.
1 Cookie without Icing
1 Tablespoon of Icing
1 cookie with Icing
3 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup dark molasses
3 cups all-purpose flour plus more for dusting
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
This is a lower sugar/low fat/higher protein icing.
1 cup of Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/2 cup of powdered sugar, sifted
1. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, sugar and applesauce until smooth. Add the egg and molasses, and mix well.
2. In another large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and spices. Add to the sugar and molasses mixture, and stir well.
3. Divide the dough into two flat balls and cover with plastic wrap. Then, let them chill in the refrigerator for at least two hours.
4. Next, preheat the oven to 350°F and generously dust the surface of your work area with flour before rolling out the dough. Work with one ball of dough at a time, and keep the other refrigerated while you do so.
5. Rollthe dough out to 1/4 or 1/8-inch thickness. Sprinkle a little flour on top of the dough if it's a little sticky. Cut the gingerbread with a cookie cutter shape of your choice.
6. Place the cookies 1 or 2 inches apart on a lined baking sheet and bake10-12 minutes.
1. Whisk all ingredients until they become a bit thick.
2. Place mixture in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to thicken even more.
3. Spread on cookies and enjoy.