Naturally-Sweetened Healthy Banana Bread
Trying to lose weight but foregoing your favorite treats? We think that's bananas! Enjoy this healthy banana bread without falling off track of your health goals.
When trying to lose weight, people often forego their favorite treats, bread included. But we think you can have your bread and lose weight, too!
Our healthy banana bread is not only nutritious but equally as delicious. Really, you will love this recipe without feeling as if you are shying away from your weight loss goals!
Healthy Banana Bread Recipe
Yield: 1 loaf, cut into 10 slices
Nutrition per 1 slice: 218 calories, 13 g fat, 7 g protein, 17 g net carb
• 3 eggs
• 1/2 cup applesauce
• 1/4 cup honey or pure maple syrup
• 2 large ripe bananas, mashed
• 1/4 cup low-fat milk
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 2 cups almond flour
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 1/4 tsp salt
• Optional: ground cinnamon, nutmeg, chopped pecans, chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9X5-inch loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl, scramble the eggs to combine egg whites and yolks. Mix in the applesauce, honey, bananas, milk, and vanilla extract until combined. Set the wet ingredients aside.
3. In another bowl, mix the almond flour, baking soda, and salt.
4. Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients. Gently mix until flour just disappears (some clumps are just fine).
5. Pour the batter in the loaf pan and sprinkle with more cinnamon as desired.
6. Bake in the oven for 50 to 55 minutes. To test for doneness, insert a toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean, the bread is cooked through and done baking.
7. Let the bread cool in the loaf pan for 10 minutes. Then, transfer it to a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes before slicing.
Does banana bread need to be refrigerated?
First and foremost, one should store banana bread after it is completely cooled. Wrap the bread tightly in plastic wrap and keep at room temperature.
There are a couple of instances in which refrigerating can be helpful, including if living in a warm climate. If not expecting to consume within a couple of days, store in the fridge to prolong its shelf life.
Can banana bread be frozen?
If wanting to store the bread for an extended period of time, store it in the freezer.
Use these steps when freezing banana bread to enjoy at a later date:
1. As a loaf or pre-sliced, wrap the banana bread tightly with plastic wrap.
2. Add to a storage container or plastic bag, also dating it to know when it is was prepared. The bread will keep for about three months, and going beyond runs the risk of freezer burn and an undesirable product.
3. When ready to enjoy, remove frozen banana bread and let it thaw at room temperature.
4. Any remaining banana bread should be returned to the freezer if wanting to eat at another
Is this healthy banana bread recipe for weight loss?
It certainly can be!
We believe any food can fit into a weight loss plan, particularly when enjoying them in moderation!
However, this healthy banana bread recipe has some noteworthy weight loss features. These include being low in fat while ample in beneficial nutrients.
Unlike some banana bread baked with butter or coconut oil, this recipe uses applesauce. Not only does it also add natural sweetness, but provides a super moisture texture without adding calories from fat.
Baked products prepared with white flour lack a nutrient this recipe offers: Fiber!
Dietary fiber is helpful for weight loss because it leads to greater satiety and helps keep hunger at bay. This, in turn, can lower the risk of overeating.
While eating more potassium will not necessarily lead to weight loss, it can gift some impressive health benefits!
Potassium is an extremely important mineral and electrolyte, working with sodium to create nerve impulses, muscle contractions, and heart function. Maintaining or increasing potassium intake can improve blood pressure and even lower the risk of stroke, osteoporosis, and kidney stones.
Rationing out slices helps keep portions in check, thus safeguarding against overeating. Also, enjoy a dessert banana muffin for breakfast on-the-go!
Swap the loaf pan with a muffin tin for preportioned banana muffins. Baking time varies based on tin size. However, bake for 15 to 20 minutes while gauging doneness when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
For an exceptionally satisfying breakfast, pair with a protein source. This may include egg, Greek yogurt, or cottage cheese.
Can the recipe accommodate various dietary needs?
In addition to being suitable for weight loss, the recipe can be adapted to satisfy various dietary needs and preferences. These include, but are not limited to, vegan, dairy-free, and gluten-free.
For a vegan option, swap out the honey with maple syrup per preference.
Also, create a flax egg! While this may seem like a challenging task, making a vegan-friendly "egg" is simple! Here’s how to do it:
• For one egg, ground 1 tablespoon of flaxseed into a fine powder then stir with 3 tablespoons water.
• Let rest for 5 minutes to thicken before adding to a recipe.
To make the bread dairy-free, switch to plant-based milk. This may include cashew, coconut, and almond milk.
When choosing milk, though, look for an unsweetened type. Some plant-based varieties contain added sugars, thus increasing overall calorie content.
With the use of almond flour, this banana bread is a gluten-free option rich in healthy fat. Other flours deemed gluten-free include oat and rice flour.
To verify safety, though, always look for a certified gluten-free label when shopping. Bob's Red Mill gluten-free flour is a reputable product to use.