Chicken Tortilla Stew Recipe
Cure your cravings and try this zesty chicken tortilla stew that is loaded with South of the Border flavors and packs a spicy punch! This recipe is made to perfection and crafted with just the right amount of spice and protein to keep you full and energized!
Cure your cravings and try this zesty chicken tortilla stew that is loaded with flavors from South of the Border and packs a spicy punch! It is accented by poblano peppers, green chile peppers and masa flour for a perfect Mexican cuisine entrée. This recipe is made to perfection and crafted with just the right amount of spice and protein to keep you full and energized!
Serving Size: 1/8 soup mixture + 1 teaspoon Shredded Cheese + 1 tablespoon Avocado
NET Carbohydrate: 11 grams
Protein: 22 grams
1.5 lb Chicken Breasts, boneless and skinless
2 pints (32 oz) Chicken Stock, reduced sodium
1 can (15 oz) Diced Tomatoes, no salt added
1 medium Yellow Onion, diced
½ Green Bell Pepper, diced
½ Red Bell Pepper, diced
2 Poblano Peppers, finely diced
1 Jalapeno Pepper, diced (or to taste)
3 Celery stalks, diced
3 Carrots, peeled and diced
1 can (4.5 oz) Green Chiles, diced
3 Garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup Cilantro, fresh, chopped
4 tablespoons Olive Oil
3 tablespoons Tomato Paste
1 tablespoon Lime Juice
3 tablespoons Masa Flour
1 ½ teaspoons Cumin
1 teaspoon Paprika
½ teaspoon Sea Salt
1 teaspoon Chili Powder
½ teaspoon Black Pepper
½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
Garnish: Avocado, diced & Monterey Jack Cheese (Reduced Fat), Shredded
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Combine cumin, paprika, sea salt, chili powder, black pepper and cayenne pepper in a small bowl.
2. Place chicken breasts on a baking sheet, drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle a small amount of the spice mixture on both sides reserving remaining spices for the soup. Bake for about 20 minutes, until juices run clear, and set aside to cook. Once cooled, shred the chicken with your hands or with two forks.
3. Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onions, celery, carrots, green bell pepper, red bell pepper and remaining spice mixture and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until onions become translucent and carrots soft. Add garlic and cook an additional minute.
4. Add shredded chicken, diced tomatoes, green chilies, chicken stock, tomato paste and lime juice, stir to combine.
5. Mix the masa flour in about 2-3 teaspoons of water and then pour into the soup and stir to combine.
6. Add poblano, jalapeno peppers and cilantro. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and allow to simmer at least 1 hour.
7. Half way through simmering, check spices and seasonings for desired level and adjust to taste.
8. When ready to serve, ladle into bowls and garnish with 1 tablespoon diced avocado and 1 teaspoon shredded cheese.