Recipe: Beef Tips in Red Wine Sauce
It’s no secret that Americans love beef, and this healthy take on the American classic will leave your taste buds begging for more with its sweet and savory red wine sauce drizzled over a delicious and hearty sirloin. Topped with succulent onions, juicy mushrooms, tantalizing spices and our coveted red wine sauce, this American staple, perfect for a family dinner, is served on top of egg noodles and can be served with a side of emerald green broccoli with a pinch of seasoning.
What you’ll need:
Sirloin tips cut into 1 inch slices
Extra virgin olive oil
Yellow onion (diced)
Garlic clove (crushed)
Flour (you may use all-purpose gluten free flour for a healthier option)
Dry red wine like Cabernet Sauvignon
Low-sodium beef broth (try the practice brand)
Egg noodles (Try Carbo Nada pasta from your grocery store) this pasta is low in carbs and high in fiber and protein.
- In a 12 inch nonstick skillet set over medium heat, brown the beef cubes in the olive oil. Make sure to turn the cubes frequently to ensure that they’re evenly browning on all sides.
- Next, add the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the onions are fragrant.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic. Reduce the heat to medium low and begin to cook, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes, or until mushrooms are brown.
- Combine the flour, thyme leaves, black pepper and nutmeg in a small dish.
- Next, sprinkle the flour mixture evenly over the meat and mushroom mixture, stirring well.
- Allow the flour mixture to "toast" in the pan, without burning, for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Then stir in the red wine and beef broth until the liquid comes to a boil and thickens very slightly.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover loosely. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- The sauce will continue to thicken as water evaporates during the cooking process. If the sauce becomes too thick, add a few tablespoons of water or beef broth.
- While the meat is cooking, cook the noodles according to the package directions.
- When the meat is tender, stir in the noodles and parsley into the beef mixture and heat through.
For a tasty and easy to make side, you can serve Beef Tips in Red Wine Sauce with 3 ounces of steamed broccoli with a pinch of salt free spike seasoning, for a lighter and healthier option.