Tired of the routined canned green veggies accompanying each meal? Then give this Italian flat beans recipe the green light!
Like all green beans, they have edible pods and seeds. But as the name suggests, Italian flat beans are flat in shape with a broader width.
The beans truly make a unique addition to this mealtime recipe. You can add the beans to any meat, chicken, fish, and even another vegetable dish as well.
Oh, and the recipe only takes 15 minutes to come together. Now that is cooking in the fast lane!
Italian Flat Beans Recipe
Yield: 4 servings
Nutrition per serving: 60 calories, 3 g fat, 1 g protein, 8 g total carb, 3 g fiber
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
• 1 Tbsp olive oil
• 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
• 2 garlic cloves, chopped
• 1, 14-oz bag Italian flat beans, frozen
• 1 tsp basil, dry
• ½ tsp sea salt
• ½ tsp ground black pepper
1. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook about 2 minutes until beginning to sweat, then add garlic. Continue to cook for another 3 minutes.
2. Add the green beans to the skillet and stir until heated through, about 5 minutes. Make sure not to cook the green beans too long, as they can become mushy.
3. Season with basil and sea salt and pepper to taste before serving. Likewise feel free to serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.
3 Tips for Making & Enjoying Italian Flat Beans
From using fresh green beans to adding bonus ingredients, make the side dish personal with these 3 tips.
1. Use Fresh as Desired
Frozen green beans are used in the recipe. However, feel free to use fresh varieties you may find at the grocery store and farmers market.
For instance, romano beans are a type of Italian flat bean and come in yellow, purple, and green colors. The varying colors would be fun to play around with cooking!
When using fresh, look for crisp beans without soft spots. Clean, trim, and cut into 2 to 3-inch lengths before adding the beans to the recipe as well.
2. Tweak the Ingredients to Preference
Sometimes using the simple ingredients is hard to beat to make one delicious dish, including this Italian green beans recipe.
However, flat beans are versatile in nature and can take on the flavors and textures of other delicious ingredients. These may include:
• Balsamic vinegar
• Italian seasoning
• Oregano leaves
• Cherry or grape tomatoes
• Parmesan cheese
3. Prepare Into a Meal
Italian flat green beans are the perfect side dish to any meat, fish, or vegetable dish! And they are to die for when paired with chicken cacciatore!
But they can also be prepared into a meal rather than solely as a side. If looking to serve as a main dish, serve atop quinoa, brown rice, or other whole grain. It can also be tossed with pasta noodles, more veggies, and a protein source.
Regardless of how the Italian flat beans are served, you are sure to appreciate just how delicious veggies can be!