Looking for a fresh new way to enjoy in-season veggies? The search is over!
Fresh, light, and absolutely delicious, these corn and zucchini fritters will have you forgetting they contain veggies! Because while the fritters are packed with veggies, they are likewise bursting with fresh flavor.
The fritters are also a simple recipe to prepare with so many tasty serving options. They also make an excellent appetizer or side dish.
So without further ado, here is how to make some flavorful fritters in no time!
Corn and Zucchini Fritters Recipe
Yield: 7 servings (2 fritters per serving)
Nutrition per serving: 140 calories, 8 g fat, 7 g protein, 11 g total carb, 2 g fiber
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
• 2 medium zucchinis
• 1 cup fresh corn, kernels cut from the cob, or canned (rinsed)
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
• 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
• 2 Tbsp olive oil
1. First shred the zucchini with a box grater. While a food processor can shred the zucchini, too, this method can be too aggressive and compromise the veggie's integrity. Before making the zucchini mixture, drain out any excess water to prevent a soggy product.
2. Transfer the drained zucchini to a large bowl then add the fresh corn, garlic, cheese, eggs, and flour. Stir the mixture until it is combined.
3. Heat oil in a large skillet or sauté pan over medium high-heat and line a plate with paper towels.
4. Once the pan and oil are hot, drop about 2 Tbsp of the mixture into the pan and gently flatten the fritters. Space each fritter about an inch or two apart for easier flipping.
5. Cook the fritters for about 3 minutes, flip, then cook for another 2 minutes on the other side. The fritters should be golden in color and crispy.
6. Transfer cooked fritters to the towel-lined plate and season with salt and pepper to taste. Repeat the cooking process with the remaining mixture and serve (ideas below).
Prep Tips & Serving Suggestions
These prep tips and serving suggestions will make this great recipe even greater. (We didn't think it was possible, either!)
Bonus Veggies & Seasonings
If you love these zucchini fritters, then you are going to love other veggie variations!
Really, just about any finely chopped or shredded vegetable can form the fritter patties, including:
Season with various herbs and spices, including:
• Red pepper flakes
The seasonings can also be used as a garnish. (Tasty idea inspiration below!)
Vegan, Gluten-Free, or Dairy-Free Options
This fritter recipe can be adjusted to meet dietary needs and preferences for all to enjoy. Prepare dairy-free, gluten-free, and vegan fritters with these simple tweaks:
• Dairy-free: Use a dairy-free cheese as desired, including a tofu-based cheese or nutritional yeast.
• Gluten-free: Swap all-purpose flour with a gluten-free type, including almond and chickpea flours.
• Vegan: Dismiss egg and use a vegan "egg" as the binder.* Also, omit the cheese and use a dairy-free, vegan variety as desired.
*To make a vegan egg, whisk together 1 tablespoon ground flax or chia seeds and 3 tablespoons water until combined. Place in the fridge and allow to set for 15 minutes then use in any vegan recipe.
Baked Zucchini Corn Fritters
Alternatively to cooking on the skillet, the fritters can also be baked. Follow these steps to ensure even cooking and browning each time:
1. Preheat oven to 400°F and generously coat a baking sheet with nonstick spray. Set aside.
2. Prepare the zucchini mixture as the original recipe.
3. Drop about 2 Tbsp of the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Spray the tops with cooking spray.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for about 8 minutes, or until golden brown. Carefully flip and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until the golden brown like the first side. Watching carefully, broil for another minute or so for added crispiness.
How to Serve
The corn and zucchini fritters taste so great, you might be tempted to eat them straight from the skillet!
Some delicious ways to serve include:
• Drizzled with sour cream or yogurt
• Topped with dill and feta cheese
• Dipped into ranch dressing
For a dairy-free, vegan-friendly serving option, prepare a cashew cream and flavor as desired. For instance, the cream can be prepared into ranch dressing by mixing in the following ingredients:
The cashew cream sauce makes a delicious base for salad dressings, ranch included. Make an all-natural ranch dressing by mixing the following ingredients with the cream sauce:
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 1 tsp onion powder
• 1 tsp dried parsley
• 1 tsp dried dill
• 1 tsp freshly chopped dill
• A squeeze of fresh lemon juice
Also, feel free to adjust the thickness and add a teaspoon of salt as desired.
Overall, the corn and zucchini fritters can harness so many fresh ingredients and flavors. Feel free to adjust as desired and serve as you wish!