Try your hand at cooking what could be one of bistroMD's best entrees! 'Wow' all of your guests at the next cookout with this BBQ Pulled Pork recipe served with an apple slaw and peach crisp.
This recipe calls for smoked pork loin smothered in a sweet and delicious homemade barbecue sauce and is served alongside a tangy purple cabbage apple slaw and sweet peach granola crisp.
Nutrition Per Serving
(4 oz. shredded pork, ¼ cup BBQ sauce, ½ cup slaw, ¼ cup peach crisp)
Protein: 33 grams
NET Carbohydrate: 30 grams
*Note: If you prefer a lower carbohydrate option, sub Peach Crisp for Steamed Broccoli with Garlic. BistroMD offers both varieties!
Braised Pork (Approximately 16 servings, serving size 4 oz.)
5 pounds Boneless Pork Shoulder, visible fat trimmed and removed
1 Sweet Onion, sliced
3 Garlic Cloves, roughly chopped
½ tablespoon Sea Salt
½ tablespoon Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
½ teaspoon Mustard Powder
1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
½ tablespoon Olive Oil
1 ½ cups Chicken or Vegetable Stock, reduced sodium
BistroMD BBQ Sauce (Approximately 15 servings, serving size: ¼ cup)
1 Onion, chopped
2 Garlic cloves, minced
1 (28 oz.) can Crushed Tomatoes, no salt added
1/2 cup Ketchup, all-natural
4 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
4 tablespoons Rice Vinegar
¼ cup Honey
¼ cup Molasses, unsulfured
1 teaspoon Worcestershire
1 teaspoon Light Brown Sugar
¼ teaspoon Original Louisiana Hot Sauce
¼ teaspoon Mustard Powder
½ teaspoon Black Pepper
1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
Cabbage Apple Slaw (Approximately 10 servings, serving size: ½ cup)
1 bag (10 oz.) Red Cabbage, chopped
3 Granny Smith Apples, peeled and diced
2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
3 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
2 tablespoons Honey
½ teaspoon Ginger, minced
¼ cup Green Onion, chopped
3 tablespoons Parsley, fresh, chopped
1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
½ teaspoon Sea Salt
BistroMD Peach Crisp (Approximately 10 servings, serving size: ¼ cup)
(50 calories, 8 grams NET carbohydrate, 1 gram protein)
2 pounds Peaches, peeled and sliced (could also substitute frozen sliced peaches, increase bake time to 20 minutes)
1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
½ cup Granola (we love Bob’s Red Mill Honey Granola)
1. Preheat oven to 325F. Ensure oven rack is placed in lower-middle of the oven.
2. Trim visible fat on the outside of the pork and discard. Cut the pork into large chunks, about the size of a fist.
3. Combine sea salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, mustard powder and brown sugar in a small bowl. Sprinkle the seasoning blend over the pork and rub into pork so it is evenly coated on all sides.
4. Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat (or use any oven-safe pot). Sear the pork on all sides.
5. Add onion slices and garlic cloves.
6. Pour cooking stock over top of the pork. Pork should be a little over halfway submerged, with some of the pork showing above the liquid.
7. Bring liquid to a simmer. Once simmering, cover and transfer the whole pot to the oven.
8. Cook about 3 hours, until it can easily be pierced with a fork and easily falls apart. Check on the pork every half hour, beginning after the first two hours of cooking. Turn pork once halfway through cooking.
9. Once finished cooking, lift pork out of the liquid and place into a large bowl.
10. When cool enough to handle, shred with your fingers or using two forks being mindful to remove any large pieces of fat.
11. If desired, skim onions and garlic from the cooking liquid, chop and add to pulled pork.
12. Add 2-3 tablespoons of cooking liquid if the pork seems dry.
BistroMD BBQ Sauce
1. Heat olive oil to a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat. Once glistening, add chopped onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Add garlic and cook another minute.
3. Add crushed tomatoes, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, rice vinegar, honey, molasses, Worcestershire, brown sugar, hot sauce, mustard powder, black pepper and sea salt. Stir all ingredients together and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cover.
4. Allow to simmer for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Cabbage Apple Slaw
1. In a small bowl, add lemon juice, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, honey, ginger, green onion, parsley, black pepper and sea salt. Whisk together.
2. In a large bowl, add cabbage and apples.
3. Pour vinegar mixture over cabbage and apple. Toss to combine, until cabbage is fully coated in vinegar mix.
4. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
BistroMD Peach Crisp
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Toss peaches, lemon juice, vanilla extract and half the granola together in a large bowl.
3. Transfer to a baking dish.
4. Top with remaining granola.
5. Bake for about 10 minutes, until hot.