20 Easy and Healthy Snack Ideas for Fighting Midday Cravings
It may be difficult to pass the temptation of convenient, unhealthy snacks. Embrace these 20 healthier snack ideas to fight the day-to-day fatigue and grogginess you may often experience in between meals!
With gas stations and vending machines on and in every corner, it may be difficult to bypass the temptation of convenient, unhealthy snacks. But healthier snacks do exist, without coming with a heavy price tag or even sacrificing taste for nutrition.
But what are some healthy snack foods? Find out what constitutes a healthy snack and give these 20 easy and healthy ideas a try!
What Makes a Snack Healthy?
Simply put, a healthy snack is one that is nutritionally-dense and able to subside hunger whenever it may arise.
As a general rule of thumb, snacks should contain an average of 150 to 200 calories and supply between 10 to 15 grams of protein. Protein is a vital component for both snacks and meals, as it helps reduce hunger and appetite, boost metabolism, provide lasting energy, and blunts cravings towards carbs.
Including healthy fat in a snack can also help induce satiety. Pairing fiber with protein, including from fruits and veggies, can also enhance satiation and provide a number of nutrients, all without major worry of adding on empty calories.
If ever in doubt on how to replace a junk food with healthy snacks, always go for whole foods, including whole grains, fruits, veggies, low-fat dairy products, and nuts and seeds.
What Are Some Healthy Snack Foods?
Nuts and Seed Options for Snacking
1. 1 ounce of pumpkin seeds for 126 calories
2. 1 ounce almonds, cashews, walnuts, and other mixed nuts for about 170 calories
3. 1 ounce of dry-roasted sunflower seeds for 186 calories
Easy Fruits and Vegetables
4 1 medium-sized apple with 1 tablespoon of almond butter for 185 calories
5. 1 cup carrot sticks with 2 tablespoons of hummus for 100 calories
6. ½ banana rolled in 1 tablespoon of frozen semisweet chocolate chips for 123 calories
7. 4 stalks of celery with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter for 114 calories
8. 1 cup sliced, fresh peaches with ½ cup cottage cheese for 170 calories
9. ½ cup of cucumber slices with ¼ cup of Greek yogurt ranch and for 60 calories
10. ½ cup of blueberries with 6-ounces of non-fat, plain Greek yogurt and a dash of cinnamon for 140 calories
Snacks for Meat Eaters
11. 5 pieces of prosciutto and 4 dried figs for 154 calories
12. 1-ounce turkey wrapped around 1 string cheese for 125 calories
13. 1 ounce of beef jerky for 120 calories
Healthy Vegan Options
14. 1 cup of lightly salted edamame for 189 calories
15. 3 cups of plain, air-popped popcorn for 93 calories; season with fresh herbs and spices for added flavor
16. ¼ cup of edamole paired with ¼ cup of sliced bell pepper for an approximate 200 calories
17. 2 rice cakes with ¼ cup of avocado slices and 1 tablespoon of salsa or hot sauce for 160 calories
Additional Healthy Snack Options
18. 2 large hardboiled eggs for 140 calories and a whopping 12 grams of protein
19. 8-ounces of fat-free chocolate milk for 135 calories
20. Prepackaged, nutritious options provided by a weight loss meal delivery service
Wondering what are healthy snacks easy to pack and can be enjoyed on-the-go? Look no further than those offered by a weight loss meal delivery service!
Unlike a bag of chips or sleeve of cookies, these prepackaged snacks are nutrient-dense and contains ample protein sure to boost metabolism and curb food cravings to keep you healthy and energized.
Besides, with options like dark chocolate coconut bar, cinnamon almond cookie crunch, honey almond cookie crunch, and teriyaki beef jerky with pineapple, both the taste buds and waistline are sure to be pleased!