Quick Vegetarian Cauliflower Taco Recipe
Let’s taco ‘bout one favorite Mexican food transformed by the craze of cauliflower! Find out how to make vegetarian cauliflower tacos and delicious ways to serve them.
Let's taco 'bout one favorite Mexican food. And not just any Mexican food…
Favorite Mexican food that has been transformed by the craze of cauliflower!
This cauliflower taco recipe is packed with flavor and nutrients that can fit the diets of many. These include vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, and low-carb diets.
We offer two great recipe variations, including roasted and in the air fryer. Oh, and each comes together in 30 minutes or less!
So let's jump into the recipe! Without further ado, vegetarian cauliflower tacos made in two ways. (With pro tips on how to serve with the best taco toppings!)
Roasted Cauliflower Tacos Recipe
Yield: 8 servings
Nutrition per serving*: 30 calories, 2 g fat, 1 g protein, 3 g total carb, 1 g fiber
*for cauliflower component only
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
• 1 large head of cauliflower
• 1 Tbsp olive oil (or other preferred oil such as avocado and coconut)
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 2 tsp ground cumin
• 2 tsp chili powder
• 1 tsp sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly coat a large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Rinse and cut the cauliflower into small and even, bite-sized pieces.
3. Toss remaining ingredients together in a large bowl and spread evenly on the coated baking sheet.
4. Roast until the cauliflower is tender and browned in some spots, about 20 minutes. Turn halfway through roasting for a more even cook. Watching carefully, broil on high for a couple of minutes for a greater roasted flavor.
5. Serve warm atop preferred taco shells with favorite toppings. (Delicious combo ideas below!)
Air Fryer Cauliflower Tacos
An air fryer namely uses hot air to cook the food thanks to fan circulation. This nixes deep frying and heavy amounts of oil without compromising an added crisp.
Air fry the cauliflower for another quick and easy recipe with these 4 simple steps:
1. Preheat the air fryer to 400°F and assemble ingredients as detailed in the recipe above.
2. Pour coated cauliflower into the air fryer basket and air fry for about 6 minutes.
3. Pull out the basket and shake cauliflower around to ensure even cooking.
4. Air fry for another 6 minutes, air frying longer until the cauliflower has reached desired crispiness.
Serve warm and assemble to liking, including with a build-your-own taco bar the whole family will love!
Build-Your-Own Cauliflower Taco Bar
For a fun night in with loved ones, make a build-your-own taco bar!
Set out these various taco shells, condiments, and other toppings so everyone can create their very own unique taco:
• Condiments: edamole, cashew cream, guacamole, Greek yogurt, hot sauce, pico de gallo, salsa, sour cream, soy sauce, tahini
• Fruits and veggies: avocado, jalapeño, lettuce, mango, red cabbage, tomato
• Taco shells: bibb or romaine lettuce leaves (low-carb options!), corn tortillas, flour tortillas, whole wheat tortillas
• Other garnishes: cilantro, chopped nuts, lime juice, parsley, kimchi
*Most of these ingredients are naturally gluten-free. However, always verify whether or not a product is gluten-free by taking advantage of food labels. This especially serves true for the condiments and taco shells.
Add a Vegetarian Protein Source
Cauliflower alone contains only a bit of protein, so feel free to add plant-based protein sources. Vegetarian protein sources include:
Likewise feel free to add an animal protein source as desired. This may include ground beef, carne asada, and shredded chicken.
Cauliflower Combo Inspirations
Crafting cauliflower tacos can be as simple or creative as you wish. But here are some delicious combos to ignite the flavor of your dish:
• Buffalo cauliflower: Add buffalo sauce or other preferred hot sauce to the mix. Also, add ranch seasonings to this cashew cream sauce for an entirely vegan taco option.
• Curry cauliflower and chickpea tacos: This curry roasted butternut squash and cauliflower with chickpeas recipe makes a great taco filling!
• Traditional taco: Sometimes it's hard to beat the flavors of a traditional taco, even if it means without the meat! Simply add taco seasoning to the cauliflower and assemble with diced tomato, chopped onion, and shredded lettuce. Add a dollop of sour cream, Greek yogurt, or vegan cashew cream for good measure.
All-in-all, have fun with this recipe! Experiment with various ingredients to enhance the flavor and texture of your cauliflower tacos.