Sweet and Sour Chicken from Chef Jack
This sweet and sour chicken puts a healthy spin on the PF Chang's favorite, with an exclusive recipe from BistroMD's very own Chef Jack.
If you are looking for another healthy alternative this week for your “My Night” then Chef Jack has the recipe for you!
This healthy alternative to PF Chang’s Sweet and Sour Chicken has half the calories, more than 75% less fat, and is much lower in sodium.
Here is Chef Jack’s healthy spin on this classic Chinese favorite.
You will need:
1. Two cups of instant brown rice
2. 1/3 cup seasoned rice vinegar
3. 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
4. 1 ½ tablespoons corn starch
5. 2 tablespoons apricot preserves
6. 2 tablespoons canola oil (divided)
7. 1 pound lean chicken tenders, cut into small pieces
8. 3 cloves minced garlic
9. 2 teaspoons minced giner
10. I cup reduced sodium chicken broth
11. 6 cups of bite-sized mixed vegetables, either frozen or fresh. (Snow peas, broccoli, and bell peppers)
1. Prepare the brown rice according to the package directions
2. While preparing rice, beat vinegar, soy sauce, cornstarch and apricot preserves in a small bowl
3. Heat one tablespoon of the canola oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook without interruption for about 2 minutes. Continue cooking the chicken, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink on the outside, and just starting to brown in spots. Cook the chicken for an additional 2 more minutes before plating.
4. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil, the garlic and ginger to the pan and cook, stirring, until fragrant for about 30 seconds. Add in the chicken broth and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add in the mixed vegetables, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the vegetables are tender-crisp for about 5 minutes. Add chicken. Beat the reserved sauce and add to the pan. Simmer, stirring continuously until the sauce is thickened, and the chicken is heated through for about 1 minute. Serve with the rick and plate!
Makes 4 servings
Amount per serving:
Fat: 10 grams
Fat: 57 grams
Sodium: 1, 101mg
For delicious recipes from BistroMD's very own chefs, please click on one of the related articles below.
Next Article: In the News
BistroMD Expert Featured in Bon Appetit Magazine