Recipe: Four Cheese Tomato Sauce with Cheese Ravioli
Healthy eating will never be the same after trying out this Four Cheese Tomato Sauce Ravioli
Four Cheese Tomato Sauce with Cheese Ravioli
The word ravioli comes from the Italian verb “to wrap”. This traditional pasta dish is stuffed with hot and gooey cheese, topped with our delectable Four Cheese Tomato Sauce. Our tomato sauce, made from scratch, contains 4 different kinds of cheeses and savory spices complemented with onions and garlic.
This amazing pasta dish, that tastes straight out of an Italian kitchen, can be served with your favorite vegetables for a well-rounded meal that the whole family can enjoy.
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper, plus more to taste
2 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
1 tsp. dried oregano
4 to 6 basil leaves
2 dried bay leaves
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 cup pecorino cheese, grated
1/4 cup ricotta
1/4 cup provolone, grated
(In your local grocery store you can purchase “Buitoni Four Cheese Ravioli” to accompany the sauce.)
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent, for about 5-6 minutes. Add garlic, salt and pepper and cook for an additional minute.
- Add crushed tomatoes, oregano, basil and bay leaves and simmer covered on low heat for 1 hour or until thick. Remove bay leaves and add the different cheeses.
- If using a food processor, add half of the tomato sauce into bowl and process until smooth. Continue with remaining tomato sauce.
- If using a blender emulsifier (possibly the best device ever!), just blend the sauce right there in the pot.
- Season to taste.
- If not using all of the sauce, allow it to cool completely and pour 1 to 2 cup portions into plastic freezer bags so you can save it for later.
- You can serve this dish with your favorite vegetables—sauté them with garlic and fresh basil plus a little olive oil.