Mediterranean Diet Dinner Recipes: Our Favorites!
If looking for a recipe that will transport you to the Mediterranean, look no further than this quinoa salad with red bell pepper coulis recipe packed with flavor and nutrients!
A Mediterranean diet is essentially an eating pattern filled with whole, plant-based foods. The diet includes whole grains, fresh produce, legumes, nuts and seeds, olive and canola oils, and fresh herbs and spices.
Following a Mediterranean diet can support heart health, prevent against bone loss, manage diabetes, and reduce psoriasis symptoms. But a Mediterranean diet does more than benefit the body, as it pleases the taste buds!
One of our favorites in the bistroMD kitchen is a quinoa salad dressed with red pepper coulis. It makes an excellent heart-healthy side dish!
Serves 4 | Serving Size: 6 oz portions
Net Carbohydrate: 20g (= total carb 26g - Fiber 6g)
Quinoa Salad Recipe
½ cup quinoa, dry
1 cup water
¾ cup cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
½ cup carrots, peeled and diced
1/8 cup artichoke heart, chopped
1/8 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
1/8 cup sundried tomato, chopped
¼ cup spinach, frozen, chopped, and drained
½ tablespoon basil, fresh chopped
1. Cook the quinoa by adding it to boiling water, covering, then reducing the heat to low. Allow to simmer for about 15 minutes or until quinoa fluffs with a fork.
2. Once cooled, add quinoa and remaining ingredients to a large bowl. Toss to combine.
Bell Pepper Coulis Recipe
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon thyme
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. Quarter bell peppers then place cut-side down onto a baking sheet. Lightly drizzle with olive oil.
3. Roast peppers for about 15 minutes, or until skins are dark.
4. Whisk lemon juice, olive oil, and thyme.
5. Blend red peppers with olive oil in a food processor until smooth. Repeat with yellow bell peppers.
6. Pour over the quinoa salad and gently mix to incorporate.
7. Pair with a lean protein source, such as fish or chicken, for a completely balanced meal!