Stuffed French Toast with Berry Compote Recipe
Is there anything better than french toast for breakfast? These thick, whole wheat French toast slices are stuffed with a blend of ricotta neufachatel cream cheese and cinnamon. This tasty breakfast is served alongside a sweet berry compote and turkey sausage.
Make everyone's morning with bistroMD's simple recipe of Stuffed French Toast with Berry Compote and Turkey Sausage. This tasty recipe will keep your health on track without you feeling deprived of delicious food!
Nutrition Per Serving
1 Stuffed French Toast, 2 Turkey Sausage Patties, ¼ cup Berry Compote
Protein: 26 grams
NET Carbohydrate: 30
4 Slices Whole Wheat Bread
1 teaspoon Honey
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
2 tablespoons Milk of Choice
½ teaspoon Cinnamon
½ cup Ricotta, fat free
½ Neufchatel Cream Cheese
1 ½ cups Mixed Berries, fresh or frozen
2 natural turkey sausage patties (or any lean sausage to equal about 15 grams of protein)
1. In a bowl, add ricotta, Neufchatel cream cheese, honey, ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon. Mix well to combine and set aside.
2. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. In a separate small bowl, add egg, ½ teaspoon vanilla extract, ½ teaspoon cinnamon and milk. Wisk to thoroughly combine.
3. Dip bread into the egg mixture to coat and immediately place on hot skillet. Cook on each side 1-2 minutes and set aside. Repeat with remaining 3 slices.
4. When all 4 slices are cooked, cut each slice in half, diagonally. Add ¼ cup of Ricotta mixture to one half and add an unfilled half on top, to create a sandwich.
5. Garnish with additional cinnamon if desired and Berry Compote.
1. Heat a small sauce pan over medium heat. Add the berries and allow to cook until they become a jam-like consistency.
Serve with 2 natural turkey sausage patties or any lean sausage to equal about 15 grams of protein.