Whether partially or fully, managing your own meals and snacks can seem overwhelming when trying to stay on plan. Fortunately, our team of dietitians has created a DIY guide so you can create meals and snacks like a bistroMD pro!
The best part? All tips and ideas were created with ease top of mind - meaning there’s no need for fancy cooking techniques or time-intensive requirements.
Learn exactly how to stay on track with a DIY grocery list, bistroMD’s nutritional parameters, and simple (yet delicious!) recipe ideas.
Your DIY Grocery List
While not all items will be needed depending on snack preference, the list is filled with ingredients used throughout the guide. Print for a swift store run while omitting those not needed and checking those that are!
▢ Brown rice
▢ Pasta (whole grain or veggie)
▢ Bell pepper
▢ Berries (i.e. blueberries, raspberries, strawberries)
▢ Brussels sprouts
▢ Green beans
▢ Salad greens (arugula, kale, lettuce, spinach)
▢ Summer squash
▢ Dairy milk (skim, reduced-fat)
▢ Dairy-free milk (no sugar added)
▢ Cottage cheese (reduced-fat)
▢ Greek yogurt (plain or <7g sugar per serving)
▢ Dairy-free yogurt (ex. Siggis & Silk brands)
▢ Cheese (reduced-fat)
▢ Carton egg whites
▢ Chicken or turkey sausage
▢ Chicken breasts or rotisserie chicken
▢ Deli-sliced meat i.e. turkey and ham
▢ Extra-firm tofu
▢ Lean beef (eye of round, sirloin, top round, tenderloin, flank)
▢ Seafood (shrimp, salmon, white fish, scallops)
▢ Dry-roasted edamame
▢ Protein bars (ex: Pure Protein, Think Thin)
▢ Protein powder
▢ Unsalted nuts
BistroMD Meal Guidelines
When creating your own meals, aim to follow these nutritional parameters to match your bistroMD plan:
• Breakfast - 300 calories, 20-25 grams (g) protein, 1 fruit or starch
• Lunch & Dinner - 350 calories, 25-30g protein, 1 fruit or starch (with lunch or dinner), 1 cup cooked or 2 cups raw non-starchy veggies
• Snacks - 150 calories and 10-15g protein each
3 Quick & Simple Breakfast Ideas
Prepare breakfast in 10 minutes (or less) with these nutritious and delicious ideas!
1. 2 oz ham + 1 cup cooked whole-grain breakfast cereal + 1 cup milk
2. 2 eggs + 2 oz lean sausage + 1 slice whole-grain bread
3. 1 cup Greek yogurt OR 1 cup cottage cheese + ⅔ cup fresh berries
Chocolate Banana Smoothie Recipe
This classic combo of chocolate and banana is just as delicious as it is nutritious!
Serves: 1 (half the recipe for a quick snack)
Nutrition: 300 calories, 6g fat, 32g protein, 25g total carb, 4g fiber
• 2 scoops chocolate protein powder (enough to reach 25 to 30 g protein)
• 1 small, ripe banana (or 1/2 large)
• 1/2 cup milk of choice, unsweetened
• 1 tsp cocoa powder, unsweetened
• 1/2 cup ice cubes (optional)
• Zero-calorie add-ins: cinnamon, nutmeg, brewed coffee
1. Combine all items into a blender and blend until smooth.
2. Pour in a large traveling cup for an on-the-go breakfast or to sip back and relax!
Lunch & Dinner Made Simple
Simple, yet nourishing lunch and dinner ideas assembled in a snap!
1. 4 oz grilled chicken on a bed of salad + ⅔ cup fresh berries
2. 1 cup tofu + ⅓ cup cooked grain (like brown rice) + 2 cups cooked veggies
3. ½ ham sandwich + vegetable soup
4. 4 oz grilled, baked, or broiled chicken + 2 cups veggies OR 1 side salad
5 Ways to Enjoy Rotisserie Chicken
Pick up a rotisserie chicken at your local store and put these quick and easy recipes together!
1. Omelet or Scramble: 1 egg + 3 egg whites + 2 oz shredded chicken + veggies of choice + 1 Tbsp shredded cheese
2. Chicken Burrito Bowl: 4 ounces chicken + 1/4 cup brown rice + veggies of choice such as lettuce, peppers, and onions
3. Buffalo Chicken: 4 oz shredded chicken mixed with hot sauce over a bed of greens topped with 1 Tbsp blue cheese crumbles
4. Stir-Fry: 4 oz shredded chicken + broccoli and other veggies of choice + soy sauce
5. Pasta Salad: 4 oz shredded chicken + 2 oz whole-grain pasta + veggies of choice + 2 Tbsp olive oil + 1 Tbsp reduced-fat feta cheese + seasonings of choice
6 Quick Snack Ideas
From plant-based options to dairy products, “snack on track” with these quick ideas:
1. ¼ cup nuts of choice
2. 1 Tbsp nut butter with 1 apple
3. 2 hardboiled eggs
4. ½ cup low-fat cottage cheese with fruit
5. 6 oz Greek yogurt
6. ¼ cup edamame