High Protein Foods
Proteins are a part of every cell, tissue and organ in our bodies. These "body" proteins are constantly being broken down and replaced. High protein foods are so essential in a healthy, well balanced diet because the protein in the foods we eat is digested into amino acids that are later used to replace these proteins in our bodies.
Some high protein foods include: meats, poultry and fish; legumes (dry beans and peas); tofu; eggs; nuts and seeds; milk and milk products; and grains, some vegetables and some fruits provide small sources of protein compared to other sources like poultry or fish.
There are two types of protein
Complete protein: one that provides all of the essential amino acids. These can also be called high quality proteins. Animal-based foods like meat, poultry, fish, eggs and cheese are all considered complete protein sources.
Incomplete protein: one that is low in one or more of the essential amino acids. Complementary proteins are two or more incomplete protein sources that together provide adequate amounts of all the essential amino acids.
How much protein should I consume daily?
It’s recommended that 10-35% of your daily calories come from protein.
Here are some examples of how much protein is in these high protein foods:
- 1 cup of milk has 8 grams of protein
- A 3-ounce piece of meat has about 21 grams of protein
- 1 cup of dry beans has about 16 grams of protein
- An 8-ounce container of yogurt has about 11 grams of protein
Here are 5 high protein foods when you need a nice pick-me-up:
1. Beef Jerky. Believe it or not, but beef jerky is actually a healthy choice. It has 11 grams of protein.
2. Egg whites. One egg white has 4 grams of protein. Throw two or three in a pan, add some salt and pepper and you’ve got yourself a delicious, protein-packed meal.
3. Cottage cheese and fruit. A half cup of 2% cottage cheese contains on average 16 grams of protein with only 102 calories. Mix it with some fresh fruit for a fast and healthy snack.
4. Tuna. Tuna is an excellent high protein food because one can contains approximately 25 grams.
5. Protein bars. Not all protein bars are created equal. A good, healthy choice is Designer Whey Protein Bars. Each protein bar contains 30 grams of protein.
Try a diet meal delivery program that has high protein foods
Another option is a meal delivery program that incorporates high protein foods into its menu, like bistroMD.
We have over 200 recipes and a customizable menu so you won’t have a problem finding something delicious to eat. Every bite you take follows this proven approach for healthy weight-loss. Our program provides 1,100-1,400 calories daily with 40-50% total caloric intake from lean, adequate protein, 20-25% of calories from healthy fats, and 30-35% from complex carbohydrates.
If you’re interested in our innovative diet program, we offer two options.
Once you pick the men or women’s program, you will have the option to receive five-or-seven-days’ worth of healthy and delicious entrees delivered to your door from our diet food delivery program. The two programs range from $130-$160 and EATS, our essential and tasty snacks are also an additional option. One snack only costs $1.50 and the number of snacks you receive per day is based on your gender. Women receive two snacks per day and men receive three snacks per day.